We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Secateurs

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of secateurs? Budget around £20.
Thanks

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 October 2017 at 6:34PM
    Not really. While I'm fussy about many tools, secateurs aren't one of them. I find many cheapo ones perfectly acceptable. They have the advantage of not being too much of a loss when they end-up in the compost heap too, which is what happened to the last expensive ones we had!

I suppose if you are very methodical and don't end-up with masses of cut material everywhere, just as it's getting dark, a pair of Felcos might prove a wonderful investment, but I'm sticking with the half dozen I have from the likes of Lidl, Aldi and Morrisons. Numerically speaking, they're easier to find too.

Poundland? I hear folks cry.....

What do you think I am, a cheapskate?:rotfl:
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Felco - buy the ladies size they are easier to operate
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Not really. While I'm fussy about many tools, secateurs aren't one of them. I find many cheapo ones perfectly acceptable.

Especially when you choose a brightly-coloured pair - easy to spot when you put them down or drop them in the compost heap!

My treasured Felcos were pinched and I've always bought cheap ones since.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Especially when you choose a brightly-coloured pair - easy to spot when you put them down or drop them in the compost heap!

I was in the garden centre yesterday and saw some neon yellow and pink ones. I thought that was such a good idea, they normally come in green and the number of times I've lost mine in my green waste bin is just ridiculous!
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I've got three, one has a broken catch, but still useable.
    One was free with Homebase nectar promotion, another was too cheap to ignore in Lidl, and another pair from Homebase again too cheap too ignore.

But £20 !!!!!! this is MSE, I've not paid more than £2.00 for any of mine!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I’m also on the lookout for a new pair of secateurs. My old ones must be 27 years old and were not exactly top-of-the-range when I got them! I sharpen them from time to time, but the plastic strike plate is now deeply indented and beyond the point where filing it flat makes much of a difference.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Keep them sharp whatever you buy. I use felco 7 and can't use secateurs without a rotating handle now or I go mad! It makes things so easy.
  • no1catman wrote: »
    I've got three, one has a broken catch, but still useable.
    One was free with Homebase nectar promotion, another was too cheap to ignore in Lidl, and another pair from Homebase again too cheap too ignore.

But £20 !!!!!! this is MSE, I've not paid more than £2.00 for any of mine!

I know this is MSE. Which is why I came here for advice, and am pleased to find that I will have plenty of change left from my £20. More money for:beer:

£2 secateurs wouldn't be MSE if they fell apart after a year, now I know that probably won't happen.

I also need them to be quite chunky but not need too much pressure as my fingers are somewhat creaky and stiff. The ones I currently have are Sandvik and the handles are quite skinny
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    IMHO I think you're being a bit pessimistic regarding 'falling apart' but that's for you to decide.
    As an example - Homebase have them from £1.99 to £34.99

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/products?q=secateur&sort=PriceAscending
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Just got back from Aldi with a pair of bypass secateurs and a pair of anvil ones £4.99 for the set. Look pretty convincing build wise, and comfortable in my hand.
    Leaving me £15.01 to spend on beer, which I did.
    Thanks folks : )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport