PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

BTL Expert advice needed!!

Options
Hey, it’s my first time posting on this forum as my situation is a unique and complicated one.

I’m looking to purchase a house worth around £100,00 with a buy-to-let mortgage (BTL) with a loan-to-value (LTV) of 75%. I plan to find a property in Birmingham, where the prices are more affordable. My main goal is to hold an investment which I can sell on later, where rent covers interest only mortgage & other expenses (full management from an estate agent etc).

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS (MORE) DIFFICULT:

I’m currently eating £16,000 a year, however this is tax free as it’s a PhD scholarship. Thus £16k is net.
I’m 23, I’m living with my parents, not a home owner, do not pay rent and have no loans or credit debt. So will be able to afford mortgage repayments without a tennant etc.

Majority, if not all, lenders won’t lend on my salary. I previously was taking £30k a year and after tax was only £400 more than my current salary. I’m going to also teach during my PhD which pays an additional £400/500 per month - equating the same if not more due to not paying tax.

Does anyone have any advice on where I may find a lender, or the best way to go about investing the £25k deposit?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Q

Comments

• saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most BTL lenders will require

1. aged over 25

2. already a homeowner (otherwise you may be really intending to live there or may end up living there if your free accommodation may not last long)

3. 25% deposit (your 25k cash has to pay for solicitors fees, surveys, mortgage fees.. so left with 20-22k deposit)

4. rent 125-145% of mortgage payments. On a 75k morgage at the higher BTL interest rate 3.5%, your monthly payments are £220. Does a 100k property command an expected market rent of atleast £275-£325? Some lenders will only consider avg rent assuming letting to a family not as a HMO / group of sharers.

So a BTL mortgage will be difficult. Go to a mortgage broker to see if any lenders are more flexible but I think you'll struggle with a few of the standard criteria, which means a smaller pool of lenders and interest rates to choose from, ie. higher rates.

I'd look for other ways of investing the money.
  • Quest123
    Options
    Hey Saajan_12

Thanks for your response.

I've had a few consultations with banks and neither of them have stressed being over 25 or a homeowner, the monthly salary seems to be the main stumbling block.

Personally, I can pay the £220 monthly payments myself, however for argument sake I anticipate monthly rent will be more in the region of £500 - £800. Nonetheless I see your point about lenders considering avg rent.

I will give a broker a go as it's worth a shot!

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quest123 wrote: »
    Hey, it’s my first time posting on this forum as my situation is a unique and complicated one.

I’m looking to purchase a house worth around £100,00 with a buy-to-let mortgage (BTL) with a loan-to-value (LTV) of 75%. I plan to find a property in Birmingham, where the prices are more affordable. - Is this a studio?! My main goal is to hold an investment which I can sell on later, where rent covers interest only mortgage & other expenses (full management from an estate agent etc). - And that magic number is?

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS (MORE) DIFFICULT:

I’m currently eating £16,000 a year, however this is tax free as it’s a PhD scholarship. Thus £16k is net. - So not enough for you to live on AND support a second property...
    I’m 23, I’m living with my parents, not a home owner - so not eligible for 99% of BTL products , do not pay rent and have no loans or credit debt. - no credit history either So will be able to afford mortgage repayments without a tennant etc.

Majority, if not all, lenders won’t lend on my salary. I previously was taking £30k a year and after tax was only £400 more than my current salary. - only? I’m going to also teach during my PhD which pays an additional £400/500 per month - equating the same if not more due to not paying tax.

Does anyone have any advice on where I may find a lender, or the best way to go about investing the £25k deposit?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Q

Not in a property.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey Saajan_12

Thanks for your response.

I've had a few consultations with banks and neither of them have stressed being over 25 or a homeowner, the monthly salary seems to be the main stumbling block.

Personally, I can pay the £220 monthly payments myself, however for argument sake I anticipate monthly rent will be more in the region of £500 - £800. Nonetheless I see your point about lenders considering avg rent.

I will give a broker a go as it's worth a shot!

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Sorry your going to buy a property with an 9.6% yield? I doubt that very much.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2017 at 10:14AM
    Options
    I’m looking to purchase a house worth around £100,00
    I anticipate monthly rent will be more in the region of £500 - £800.

Are you sure? That doesn't sound right..
    So you're looking for a property with enough bedrooms and good enough location to support the high rent, but at a low enough sale price, which suggests it would have some repair issues or something wrong.. making voids likely or needing money you don't have to renovate..
    Please do say what lenders you're looking at.. are you sure they're working on BTL not residential basis and know your full circumstances? Depending on who you spoke to and how thorough the discussion was, this may have been assumed as most people buying a BTL have their own home and are older!
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Sorry your going to buy a property with an 9.6% yield? I doubt that very much.

A 9.6% yield straight off the shelf that hasn’t already been snapped up by a local experienced landlord.

Apparently.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 October 2017 at 11:27AM
    Options
    Op, why do you want to be a BTL landlord?

Your numbers don't sound correct.

Even if your numbers were right, your budget would be extremely tight. And you do not have the financial resources to sort out any issues with the property or deal with void periods.

You still need to pay the mortgage if the tenants stop paying the rent - so you need savings or insurance to deal with that. And if the property needs repairs you have to pay for that too.

Furthermore, won't you want to buy a property of your own in a few years time? This will be more difficult if you have to sell the BTL property first. And as a former property owner you won't be eligible for government assistance (such as through the help-to-buy scheme or help to buy ISA).

It all sounds like an extremely high risk investment without the prospect of a high return to go with it. For now I think you are much better off putting your money into a savings account or investing it into stocks & shares. Consider investing into a help to buy ISA.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Any lender considering a BTL for a non-homeowner is going to have one eye on you buying somewhere to live and using the BTL rules because you can't afford it as a residential.

So what they do is they treat it as a residential and if you can afford it that way, they know you are being honest as you would obviously get a better deal buying with a residential mortgage than going the BTL route.

In your case, you aren't going to get this because you can't demonstrate residential affordability.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Quest123
    Options
    The numbers I had a look at sit around this:

1. BTL Mortgage repayments: £120/month for 24 months before moving to £450/month, APRC 4.4%
    2. Monthly rent for city centre properties: £500-700, based on Rightmove.
    3. Estate agent fees for full management are around 10-15% of monthly rent: £98/month (based on £650pcm rent)
    4. Based on points 1&2 this would be a significantly smaller yield than 9.8%.
    5. I would thus be able to save my own salary on the side of this to account for absent tenants, repairs etc. I'm currently able to save £400/month.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    I've had a quick look on rightmove for a property that is under 100k excluding auctions, shared ownership and cash buyers only this is the only flat I can see.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47882198.html

You won't get 650pcm for that.

In addition it's been up for sale for 3 years so there is something wrong with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure