UCGTRUST - p2p lending - possible 13% annually - any experience?

Comments

• msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There would be no guarantee from the FCA even if they were incorporated in the UK.

There are no guarantees AT ALL from the FCA with p2p. I'm not telling you that to stop you investing (I use a number of p2p platforms) but to indicate that you should know what you're doing before diving head first in there - especially on the back of a handful of anonymous reviews on an unreliable (at best) review site and a guarantee thats not worth the pixels on your screen.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The fact that they claim that any defaults will be covered by an unnamed third party - "In case a loan is placed into default, UCG TRUST will cover it with other assets – eliminating all the risk to investors" (my emphasis) means it exits the category of Lendy, MoneyThing etc and becomes a get-rich-quick scheme.

If it looks too good to be true then it is.

Having great reviews when the company is barely a year old just means they are really quick and efficient at taking your money off you.

There is no indication of who owns or runs the business and I was tickled by the fact that the business is registered to a PO Box in "Stoney Ground Road" in St Vincent & Grenadines.
    Mark_ch_4 wrote:
    Behold, there went out a sower to sow... And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth: But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Bargepole anyone? :D
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Above post reported
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    And like clockwork the obligatory one-post shill arrives to tell us how great this get-rich-quick scheme is. Armed with all the standard playbook clich!s:

- interest is paid on time (it's not difficult to take £10,000 off someone and give them £1,200 back, the question is what happens when they want their £10,000)
    - ignorance of basic investing concepts (it's not a "deposit account")
    - FOMO
    - insistence that you're not allowed to comment unless you have direct experience of investing in the get-rich-quick scheme, i.e. experience of the market, understanding of basic economics and logic mean nothing

And ever higher rises this thread up the Google rankings.
  • Zoea
    Zoea Posts: 38 Forumite
    Paul7, thank you for your comment. I can see why it might be suspicious to some as it's your first post, but you explained that. I'm looking for a balanced conversation here - I do need to invest my money somewhere!

Anyone else with experience is very welcome to post. I've taken a look at p2pindependentforum.com and there are a lot of competitors, but interest rates are only higher on high risk investments (loans) and I am only skimming it but a guarantee seems to be rare.

thanks
  • I'm not an expert on financial market and do not need to become him to be able to start investing. Everyone has his own experience and opinion and does not need to convince each other. We all share our experience here, and I described my experience above. Any investment has always been and will be at risk, and there are no players in the financial market who can with an accuracy of 100% assert that there are no risks, and if p2p platforms in particular as Lendy can be considered reliable then forward.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Paul7 Said:-
    I heard first time about this platform 1.5 years ago from my friend who lives in New-York and who invested through UCGTrust but didn't decide to invest because of superfluous at that time suspicion, but alas, I was wrong. The world has always been divided into optimists and skeptics and who likes some and some others, but let's be pragmatically, no one can give you a guarantee today, and most p2p platforms are clearly warn about it on the websites, but for me for today, except for UCGTrust, no one dared to write at all about any guarantees. Than to entrust my money to the number of borrowers that I have never seen and will not see, I prefer trust my money to this company.

The above is space filling nonsense. I bet some artificial intelligence bots could do a better job.
    J_B.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Zoea wrote: »
    Paul7, thank you for your comment. I can see why it might be suspicious to some as it's your first post, but you explained that. I'm looking for a balanced conversation here - I do need to invest my money somewhere!

...it but a guarantee seems to be rare.

thanks
    Because they tell you there is no guarantee... which is honest.

Read the comments, hear the alarm bells...:eek:
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 3:56PM
    Anyone else with experience is very welcome to post. I've taken a look at p2pindependentforum.com and there are a lot of competitors, but interest rates are only higher on high risk investments (loans)

Is it not true it is always be the case with investment product ??
    and I am only skimming it but a guarantee seems to be rare.

thanks

You have been told in the previous post, FSCS guarantee from the government does not exist with p2p lending. If such thing exist who bother to run a business if you could could get guarantee return earning 13% per annum. A person who does not use his/her common sense is vulnerable to fraudsters.

Pull back, stop thinking about p2p before you invest time learning it. You might loose all of your hard earning cash
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure