Anyone successfully rejected a car?

Exemplar
Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 2 October 2017 at 7:48PM in Motoring
We have a 23 month old car on a 48 month PCP.

Car has been to main dealer 5 times now with same fault (leaking - not a cabriolet!).

On 3 occasions no fault found.

2 occasions fault found. 1 costing the dealer £2500, 2nd not known. Last visit car had 2 air-con 'bombs' to deal with the damp smell.

Currently at main dealer again and has been for a week.

We contacted the finance company today and started the rejection process and they stated we would be contacted by a case handler within 3 working days and the average resolution time is 8 weeks.

Has anyone had any experience of what happens? successes/ failures? Ideally we want the car replacing 'like for like'.
'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Have you stopped using the car?

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

If you reject a second-hand car bought in the UK, you must stop using it immediately.
  • Exemplar
    sheramber wrote: »
    Have you stopped using the car?

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

If you reject a second-hand car bought in the UK, you must stop using it immediately.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Exemplar wrote: »

Well you'll have to leave it there if you reject it and if it comes down to it fight it out in court.
  • Exemplar
    Well you'll have to leave it there if you reject it and if it comes down to it fight it out in court.

Thanks for your helpful comment.

Next keyboard warrior?

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Next keyboard warrior?

Not sure why you think it's an unhelpful comment, it would make sense and strengthen your case if you were not using the vehicle.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite

Next keyboard warrior?

Why do you think he's a keyboard warrior? If you're rejecting a car, surely the first step is to hand it back to the supplying dealer??!!
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Rejecting a car you have had for nearly two years may not be straightforward. I would suggest you may end up relying on some goodwill from the dealer. If you are planning on another lease car maybe see if this could be arranged through the same dealer, they may then be more inclined to help.
  • Exemplar
    debtdebt wrote: »
    Why do you think he's a keyboard warrior? If you're rejecting a car, surely the first step is to hand it back to the supplying dealer??!!

As per the title I'm asking for anyone with actual experience. Thus far no-one has offered fact, just fiction....

• Exemplar
    edited 3 October 2017 at 7:22AM
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    Rejecting a car you have had for nearly two years may not be straightforward. I would suggest you may end up relying on some goodwill from the dealer. If you are planning on another lease car maybe see if this could be arranged through the same dealer, they may then be more inclined to help.

Dealer involvement was started the last time it was in. Luckily the dealer in question is a real box shifter as well as having good customer service. We are hoping that they may come up with something.

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    You say 23 months ... so you started the PCP after 1st October 2015? If yes then the Consumer Rights Act 2015 applies. This would have allowed you to reject the vehicle after the 1st failed repair attempt.

So whilst I have no direct experience, I believe you have sufficient legal backing to reject.

Consumer Rights Act 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport