PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Doing everything electronically

Options
2»

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    It would be possible to grant a limited power of attorney to allow your solicitor or another person to sign the deed on your behalf, but then you would have to pay for the POA to be drawn up, so you may find that simply using a courier to get the documents back would be more cost effective.
    5 minutes to produce a bog standard POA of this sort. Shouldn't warrant a significant fee.
  • HappyFrog
    Options
    Thanks again. We have now chosen a conveyancer, and with a combination of e-mailing the docs to us to print, sign and courier back to the UK I think we can reduce the delay to a reasonable time. Getting suitable witnesses shouldn't be a problem. Getting a POA seems to me to just be adding yet another layer of bureaucracy.

I posted my question in the hope that processes might have improved since we last purchased a property in 2005, but it would seem that things are still stuck in the 18th century. I read somewhere that the government is looking at making some changes to the buying/selling process. Something I at least would very much welcome!
  • davidmcn
    Options
    HappyFrog wrote: »
    Getting a POA seems to me to just be adding yet another layer of bureaucracy.
    Not sure why you think that - it really would make things much quicker.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks again. We have now chosen a conveyancer, and with a combination of e-mailing the docs to us to print, sign and courier back to the UK I think we can reduce the delay to a reasonable time. Getting suitable witnesses shouldn't be a problem. Getting a POA seems to me to just be adding yet another layer of bureaucracy.

Yes - and no. It moves your involvement in the bureaucracy to when it's less time-critical.
    I posted my question in the hope that processes might have improved since we last purchased a property in 2005, but it would seem that things are still stuck in the 18th century. I read somewhere that the government is looking at making some changes to the buying/selling process. Something I at least would very much welcome!
    ...says the man who chooses to live somewhere seemingly so remote that no post can possibly travel from the UK in less than a fortnight!
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I posted my question in the hope that processes might have improved since we last purchased a property in 2005, but it would seem that things are still stuck in the 18th century.

Well... you should try buying and selling property in some other European countries!

Buyer, Seller and EA(s) have to turn up at the Notary's office at the same time, and the notary reads out the contracts and asks each person if they understand.

And if you're foreign, you have to pay for a state-registered interpreter.

It's like a wedding ceremony!

It's all taken very seriously. On one occasion, when a seller couldn't attend, they had to give a barrister power of attorney and pay them to attend and answer questions on their behalf.

(Which leads on to an interesting thought... on that basis, I wonder if you could give a barrister power of attorney to attend your wedding ceremony on your behalf?)
  • AdrianC
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    (Which leads on to an interesting thought... on that basis, I wonder if you could give a barrister power of attorney to attend your wedding ceremony on your behalf?)
    Can you imagine how expensive the divorce would be?
  • HappyFrog
    Options
    ...says the man who chooses to live somewhere seemingly so remote that no post can possibly travel from the UK in less than a fortnight!/QUOTE]

Yes, well not every country has a functioning postal system - hence the need to use a courier company. But things may be looking up - we received some Christmas cards last week - posted for Christmas 2016. I am not kidding..
  • AdrianC
    Options
    I think you miss my point...

You are complaining about inefficiencies of a system that is very infrequently used by most individuals, and where fraud would carry huge financial consequences, in a country you have chosen not to live in, instead preferring to live in a country where even the most basic of systems simply don't appear to function...

The irony is that the delay you are complaining of, and blaming on the systems in the country you have left behind, appear to be entirely caused by the failure of basic provisions in your preferred home...
  • davidmcn
    Options
    ...and then also reject a solution which would allow you to get things done by instructing your solicitor by phone/email rather than by transporting bits of paper across the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure