PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

St Bernard's Gate, Hanwell, UB1 UB2

Options
Hii everybody,

Has anyone here purchased an off-plan property at St Bernard's Gate, Hanwell?

I reserved a 1 bed flat in December 2016, and upon exchanging was given the date of April 30th for completion.

There has now been a long delay, with little information from the developer Catalyst. There has been no formal written information from Catalyst, however I have been speaking to the selling agent and my solicitor and there appears to be an issue with drainage, ground rent fee's (it doubles every 20 years) and service charge finalisation.

The main issue appears to be the drainage - they are connected to the Ealing Hospital/ West London NHS Trust drainage next door and I have been told that they have not secured full legal authority to do so yet. If they do not secure this, then I am assuming other work may need to be done.

Has anyone else purchased here, too? I thought it would be good for us to come together as I am sure there are quite a few as concerned as I am. Please respond here, or register and respond if you are finding this on a google search.

:o

Comments

• Lysimache
    Options
    Afraid I can't help as I'm not a buyer there. Out of curiosity, how aware are buyers that there's a secure forensic unit next to the building? Do the estate agents mention that at all?
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lysimache wrote: »
    Afraid I can't help as I'm not a buyer there. Out of curiosity, how aware are buyers that there's a secure forensic unit next to the building? Do the estate agents mention that at all?

What does it matter? One can only assume they do their forensiccy stuff inside their own building.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ealing hospital has an address in Southall. So how can this development possibly be in Hanwell? It must be in Southall. Have they charged more because Hanwell is a better address than Southall?
  • Lysimache
    Options
    Historically, it was Hanwell. The closest train station is Hanwell, not Ealing Broadway/Common. The Hanwell Asylum is what the development is being built on.
  • Lummoxley
    Options
    Historically, it was Hanwell. The closest train station is Hanwell, not Ealing Broadway/Common. The Hanwell Asylum is what the development is being built on.

It may well have been but currently the river Brent acts as the boundary, W7 postcode on one side and UB1 on the other. St Bernard's Gate is in UB1.
  • Lysimache
    Options
    "Hanwell is a town in the London Borough of Ealing"
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

And Southall.
  • Lummoxley
    Options

Absolutely, as are Southall, Greenford etc. However, the Ealing Hospital and St Bernard's site are in Southall as they have a UB postcode. :)

There is a "beat the bounds" event every year which circumnavigates the old Hanwell parish boundary, the St Bernard's site is outside of that. http://www.mazefind.co.uk/cgi-bin/cms/ohra.pl?content_id=1226580660

As an aside, in my last flat I discovered one of the old Hanwell parish boundary stones in the undergrowth in front of my block.
  • Parisian
    Options
    It was definitely advertised as Hanwell and the selling agent also said it was in Hanwell, but when I came to exchanging and got the documents through from the solicitor the address then miraculously had Southall in it. I'm not from the area so didn't really realise this!
  • saa1234
    Options
    I'm in the same position as you! Have been given limited information so just playing a waiting game at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure