Tax credits/disabilty premium tax credit advice

Good morning

Im in need of some advice
Iv been claiming child tax credits since 2007
But i was awarded dla in 2009
High rate care, low rate mobility i was then assessed in 2011 but was awarded low rate mobility no care for indefinitely
I then speak to the tax credits has my partner wants to set up a new claim for working tax has he starts his new job next week but they said my dla claim wasnt on the tax credits system and if i was to put it on my claim would go probably increase
She asked me to find the date the claim started and renewed as they would try back date as far as they could i then ring back and another lady stated i didnt need to put my old dla award or new one on as it wouldnt make much difference
I decided to go om a forum and ask these questions and one person stated they would probably back pay from 2009 to 2011 when i was high rate but stated they dont know if my low rate mobility would make my tax award increase
Il confused as to if the woman at ctc helpline meant they would back pay for 2009 claim or the claim i have now
I had to come here and get it confirmed has money saving expert has some very very accurate advice and answers
Thank you for taking the time to read

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you been claiming working tax credits? The adult disability premium would not apply to CTC as that would be for a disabled child.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 July 2017 at 11:28AM
    Have a look at the conditions for meeting the severe disability element of tax credits here:
    http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-element

It may be relevant for the period you were in receipt of the high rate of DLA, and your partner was working.
    As Boris said it attaches to WTC not CTC.

I would give the TC people the info and see what happens.
    Not sure about TC backdating, and if it can be backdated to 2009-11. Generally it is 3 months I think.
    There are posters on here (DS) and (IQ) who would know more than me on that score.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Backdating is now only one month (changed in 2012). So no you wouldn't be able to claim for 2009-2011.
  • Hi I'm a newbie ☺
    Don't know if I'm posting in the right place tho...received a notice stating my 12yr old son is entitled to middle rate care and lower mobility...told ctc this week and also claimed carers allowance...how long before I hear back?
    Also I have been told the benefit cap may no longer apply to me so I might get some housing benefit (atm I'm paying full rent) is this true?
    Thanks any help is appreciated
  • Tax credits should have told you the timescale when you notified the change.

You're not affected by the benefit cap if you have a child on DLA.
  • Thanks so much for ur reply.
    The only thing ctc said on the phone to me was to not contact that number again as my claim now goes to a different department for dla and if I've not heard by the 25/11/17 to contact this other number. Surely it's just a quick change in details?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Juanita37 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for ur reply.
    The only thing ctc said on the phone to me was to not contact that number again as my claim now goes to a different department for dla and if I've not heard by the 25/11/17 to contact this other number. Surely it's just a quick change in details?
    You can check your account online here.
    https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services

If you're not registered it takes just a few minutes to do this.
  • Juanita37 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for ur reply.

Given the amount of claims that incorrectly/fraudulently claimed the disability element of CTC in the past, all claims must now be checked before being awarded. So no not a quick change.
  • Hallo Darksparkle

Where are the statistics on fraudulent claims of the disability element of CTC?
  • Thanks for advice I'll just wait and see how it goes I guess :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport