Cover for missed 'connection'

I have been searching online but can't find an answer to my specific question so here it goes.
I am due to fly back from China to the UK next year (26th of April), I have another holiday booked, with a different airline and travel provider which departs on the 27th of April.
I have comprehensive travel insurance but want to know if the first flight back from China is delayed so much I miss my second flight the next day would travel insurance cover this ?
As its not an official connection so it wouldn't be the first airlines responsibility to cover. But I cannot see anything on line which covers this situation.

The first flight would have to be delayed for more than a day for me to miss the second trip, but I am getting a bit worried.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You have to check your policy or ask your insurer. I have AmEx Travel Insurance and they cover missed flights as a result of failure or disruption to public transport.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I do not think that this is an insurable risk. Could you change your flights?
  • You need to read your policy. No one on here knows what cover you bought and whether two completely unrelated bookings would be covered for missed departure due to a delayed flight arrival. I have a feeling most standard policies wouldn't.
  • Voyager2002
    jpsartre wrote: »
    You have to check your policy or ask your insurer. I have AmEx Travel Insurance and they cover missed flights as a result of failure or disruption to public transport.

That cover would not help in the OP's situation.
  • jpsartre wrote: »
    That cover would not help in the OP's situation.

Why not?
    Provided that the missed departure was caused by an earlier flight delay, there is no reason why they shouldn't pay out.
  • Why not?
    Provided that the missed departure was caused by an earlier flight delay, there is no reason why they shouldn't pay out.

It would depend on whether the insurers class flights as public transport.
  • It would depend on whether the insurers class flights as public transport.

I think all travel insurers do class both scheduled and charter flights as public transport.
    This is AMEX's (jpsartre's insurer) definition of Public transport
    Public transport
    Any transport by road, rail, sea or air with a licensed carrier operating a regular and/or charter passenger service on which you are booked to travel.
    and as insurance policies generally have very similar definitions, they will probably all be pretty much the same.

This is SAGA (who I'm with)
    Scheduled public transport
    Any regular form of transport which takes fare paying passengers and runs to a timetable: train, coach, bus, aircraft and sea vessel.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    It would depend on whether the insurers class flights as public transport.

just wondering what you would call it if not public transport
  • Voyager2002
    I think all travel insurers do class both scheduled and charter flights as public transport.
    This is AMEX's (jpsartre's insurer) definition of Public transport

and as insurance policies generally have very similar definitions, they will probably all be pretty much the same.

This is SAGA (who I'm with)

I suspect that those definitions exclude international journeys.
  • I suspect that those definitions exclude international journeys.
    Unless there is such an exclusion stated in the policy, there is no reason to think that international journeys are excluded.
    Insurance companies are no different to any other company that forms contracts in that they can't write those contracts with a specific set of terms, conditions and definitions then simply amend them as they see fit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure