2»

Comments

• Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    decbel wrote: »
    No, not yet.

Dates are 06/04/2017-05/07/2017

That's for ctc/wtc for 1 child. But I don't actually receive any WTC because of income.

I certainly don't feel confident in speaking to the original compliance officer.

So was the £539 mentioned in a letter or an award notice? If it was a letter - was it from the compliance officer and can you put the exact wording?

After the compliance investigation you should have received a final award notice for 16/17 and one for 17/18 - what does the 17/18 one show in terms of overpayment and have you received further award notices?

IQ
  • decbel
    decbel Posts: 2,804 Forumite
    Options
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    So was the £539 mentioned in a letter or an award notice? If it was a letter - was it from the compliance officer and can you put the exact wording?

After the compliance investigation you should have received a final award notice for 16/17 and one for 17/18 - what does the 17/18 one show in terms of overpayment and have you received further award notices?

IQ

I'm going to ring them again this afternoon and I'll report back.

The £539 figure came in a letter from the compliance officer. There is no overpayment for years 16/17. There was an historical overpayment but over the years it has been totally cleared.

About a week later we received a final award notice for 17/18 with an overpayment of £272 which cannot be paid until after April 18.

Forms have been issued for a freash claim.
  • decbel
    Options
    Rung them again. This is what happened.

After 25 minutes got through to the overpayment line. You cannot speak to the compliance officer direct and according to them there is no need to do so anyway.

For the second time I was told that the overpayment figure is £272 and that cannot be paid until after April 18.

I asked if there is any record of a compliance figure of £539. He replied that there is nothing on the system about that figure. That is the second time.

I've re-read the compliance letter and there is no mention of fines or interest if you don't pay or start instalments within the 30 days on the letter. It's got my partner in tears over it.

I'm going on the £272 figure from now on.

If I get any more letters on the £539 then its going to have to be a Member of Parliament job.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    So where did the threat of fines and penalties and 30 days come from if it wasn't in the compliance letter?

IQ
  • decbel
    Options
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    So where did the threat of fines and penalties and 30 days come from if it wasn't in the compliance letter?

IQ

It was suggested as being a possibility by a previous poster.

But I'm sure I've read it elsewhere as well.
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    :wall:
    :wall:
  • Tomsdottir
    Options
    Hallo there. I was sorry to hear about what must have been an extremely distressing and traumatic experience for both of you. Sending such letters out is inexcusable. A number of possibilities spring to mind. For example, if someone who was previously claiming as a lone parent indicated that s/he was now part of a couple, that would bring the claim to an end. Any period of her/his award during which the couple were cohabiting would (technically) be an overpayment, but HMRC must deal with this by "offsetting" the overpayment against the tax credits which the couple would have been entitled to had they claimed as a couple from the beginning. In that situation, it's possible that a letter could be sent out to the original claimant indicating that there had been an overpayment of all of the tax credit from the beginning of the year. Tax credits are then recalculated from the beginning of the year on the basis of joint income. But you would know if this was what was going on. It's possible but unlikely that it's the £250 disregard of a drop/increase in income from year to year - but you don't mention that either. This can affect the amount of tax credit you are entitled to and lead to end of year overpayments rather than in-year overpayments, which is what this is. You might find it helpful to visit the litrg website and check out their tax credit webpages which are excellent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure