whats Average amount of driving lessons needed to learn an automatic?

hi

just starting to learn to drive but going for automatic in the hope to learn quicker but wondered whats the estimate amount of lessons needed and how often do people take lessons because 2 lessons a week seams not enough. I know everyone is different but just trying to get as much info as i can.

thanks very much in advance

Comments

• wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Piece of string. How long is it? I would suggest asking your instructor as they will know where you are at now.

Are you happy to only be able to drive an automatic car?
  • >going for automatic in the hope to learn quicker<

Unless for medical reasons, could be a false economy when an automatic-only license will be a hassle for rental cars, driving other cars on 3rd party insurance and one day you'll need to bit the bullet and upgrade it by passing another driving test in a manual car.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    You won't learn any quicker on an automatic.
  • well ok no worries, thanks all the same :)
  • If you're having two 1 hour lessons try a single two hour lesson instead.
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've always been told to allow 1 hour for each year of your age, plus lots of private practice once so progress has been made with an instructor. Not sure if that changes for an automatic; I doubt it.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2017 at 8:13PM
    It depends if you pass or not on test day.

I don't you can learn any quicker, as I assume you still have to do the same as a manual - 3 point turn, reverse parking etc.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    just starting to learn to drive but going for automatic in the hope to learn quicker

Since you are opting for the easier option, I would guess you will have lower than average confidence, so it could take longer.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    Are you happy to only be able to drive an automatic car?
    That's much less of an issue these days, with a very wide variety of two-pedal cars in all sizes rapidly becoming the default.

TBH, it's probably only really going to be an issue if the OP ever needs to hire a van, or fancies driving a classic car.
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    You won't learn any quicker on an automatic.
    Depends. If the OP finds clutch control and gear selection particularly difficult, then it'll speed it up a chunk. They're normally not that serious compared to the important stuff - playing nicely with other traffic - though some may have a specific problem.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    That's much less of an issue these days, with a very wide variety of two-pedal cars in all sizes rapidly becoming the default.

TBH, it's probably only really going to be an issue if the OP ever needs to hire a van, or fancies driving a classic car.

Depends. If the OP finds clutch control and gear selection particularly difficult, then it'll speed it up a chunk. They're normally not that serious compared to the important stuff - playing nicely with other traffic - though some may have a specific problem.

Whilst I don't disagree totally there are still far more manual cars than autos. If it's not an issue for the OP then fine, if they may want or need a manual in the future then best consider it now. An example would be if they would ever drive a works vehicle as in general these would have a manual box.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure