PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Wet internal wall

I have a west facing gable end wall in my property which catches a lot of wind/rain.

After the storms in December 2014 it was so bad that that plaster lost adhesion with the brick and crumbled away.

The property had its original wood framed window so this was replaced with a upvc one and it doesn't appear to have been damp since.

The house was built in 1996 and when I questioned the house builder what they had been used in the walls, they said full fibrefill.

Fast forward to last night and driving wind/rain has once again made the interior wall wet.

What are my options? I don't have the ability to throw thousands at the issue but would like a semi-permanent solution, access to the exterior wall is very difficult due to cars driving under the room to get to the carpark behind. The exterior wall is dashed and painted, but I have been told by other builders that even if it was unpainted, moisture shouldn't be able to get across the cavity.

It's really disheartening to see the problem is still there.
4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 September 2017 at 8:54PM
    sounds like (check with a builder) an example of poor cavity wall insulation ("full fibrefill"?) which is acting as a bridge across the cavity allowing water to move from outside to inside wall or for cold spots to develop causing condensation problems

it is a risk that is often mentioned (and glossed over) in respect of cavity wall insulation. See here especially reference to wind blown rain on exposed walls...

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/insulation/article/cavity-wall-insulation/cavity-wall-insulation-damp-problems

No "easy" solution, have a read : http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/dampcavity.htm
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    http://www.neverpaintagain.co.uk/blog/paint-gable-end-house-wall/

Above is an ad but does any of it ring bells?
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    00ec25 wrote: »
    sounds like (check with a builder) an example of poor cavity wall insulation ("full fibrefill"?) which is acting as a bridge across the cavity allowing water to move from outside to inside wall or for cold spots to develop causing condensation problems

it is a risk that is often mentioned (and glossed over) in respect of cavity wall insulation. See here especially reference to wind blown rain on exposed walls...

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/insulation/article/cavity-wall-insulation/cavity-wall-insulation-damp-problems

No "easy" solution, have a read : http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/dampcavity.htm

Is there not an argument that the wall would have never had full fiberfill in the first place and the issues have been caused by the original housebuilder making an error? Should they not be held liable? You can claim against insulation companies now, but the housebuilder couldn't/wouldn't tell me who they contracted that work out to as apparently they don't have records.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 September 2017 at 7:23AM
    Spies wrote: »
    Is there not an argument that the wall would have never had full fiberfill in the first place and the issues have been caused by the original housebuilder making an error? Should they not be held liable? You can claim against insulation companies now, but the housebuilder couldn't/wouldn't tell me who they contracted that work out to as apparently they don't have records.
    at the end of the day someone or something is to "blame"

how you find out who or what is down to how much money you are willing to throw at the investigation. You sure as heck will not get the original builder to admit liability 21 years after they built it without proof of cause.

you will need to get an independent technical investigation report to identify that cause and then sue whoever the report says is the cause. You may end up suing one or both of: God for driving rain against the wall and the builder for not doing the insulation correctly.

alternatively you could simply investigate "solutions" to the problem of exposed gable walls. As already indicated in the post above there are companies falling over themselves to sell things to you. Which, if any, work I have no idea, but that may be a cheaper/better option than a court case.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 September 2017 at 8:14AM
    It will probably be quickest, cheapest and least stressful to pay one of the CWI removal companies to get the stuff out.

Tonnes of CWI was pumped into houses in past years without considering its suitability with regard to site conditions. Many local councils were caught-out by the problems that ensued. If they were duped, why not the builder of your house as well?

Afterthought: If the builder won't tell you anything, you could try contacting CIGA directly and see if there is a 25year guarantee in place for your address.
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Davesnave wrote: »
    It will probably be quickest, cheapest and least stressful to pay one of the CWI removal companies to get the stuff out.

Tonnes of CWI was pumped into houses in past years without considering its suitability with regard to site conditions. Many local councils were caught-out by the problems that ensued. If they were duped, why not the builder of your house as well?

Afterthought: If the builder won't tell you anything, you could try contacting CIGA directly and see if there is a 25year guarantee in place for your address.

CIGA had no record of my property having had CWI.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure