PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Beyond Frustrated!!!

2»

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If our solicitor chases up and nothing happens, is there anything I can do? I feel like finding the vendor's phone number and asking her directly to hurry the hell up!

Not a good idea, if I was the vendor, I would most likely won't be so nice - not clean house or something else.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if only one in the chain, it still averages around 12 weeks. As much needs doing as if there were 6 (okay, you might avoid probs, but always base it on 12 weeks-ish).

The EA was talking out of his @rse (as they often do). August was very optimistic.
    Completely agree. Many of the frustrations people have with the house buying/selling process come back to unrealistic expectations. A sale agreed at the end of June should be expecting to exchange late September, by the average measure.
  • The Vendor has written in the contract that she'd like to complete by end of August - so I think that came from her wanting a quick sale - as her EA has said numerous times. The EA I'm dealing with IS the branch manager!

I'm getting conflicting info - my solicitor (or rather, someone at the firm - I rarely get hold of my actual case handler) told me that the vendor's solicitor can confirm that there's no premium on the insurance and that's all they keep telling me. I've asked for specifics like which insurance firm it's with and how much the annual insurance cost is. This isn't asking too much, as far as I'm concerned - and it should be an easy query to sort so I don't know why it's taking so long, or who is responsible for the delay - I asked weeks ago for this very basic information.

The rush is/was that my partner is a school teacher and has/had the entire summer off - the end of august was perfect for us as he would be able to help move us in during that time. However, he's now back at work and cannot take time off to move us to the new house, meaning it'll be over weekends, which is more costly and more difficult.
  • I've asked for specifics like which insurance firm it's with and how much the annual insurance cost is. This isn't asking too much, as far as I'm concerned .

Why do you need this? Do you own comparison quote. I've never asked for this. The only need for it would be if you had received information regarding known problems insuring the property.

It is evident you haven't been through this process before. I'm the same timescale and am frustrated as hell but I knew it'd take longer than I wanted it to, it always does. You should have had your expectations managed. And no, it won't have been written 'in the contract', it may be on the property forms - as my requested exchange of late August was - but it isn't in The Contract at all. You don't have Rights to call someone who hasn't provided their number, they have employed an EA so they don't have to deal with you directly. Why would they pay thousands of pounds otherwise.
    What your EA said was a load of rubbish, he can chase solicitors even once a discussion has begun.
    I appreciate you're frustrated but thinking you're entitled to move on a certain date helps no-one. Chill out a bit. This is the easy one - next time you'll have to both buy and sell.
  • Why do you need this? Do you own comparison quote. I've never asked for this. The only need for it would be if you had received information regarding known problems insuring the property.

It is evident you haven't been through this process before. I'm the same timescale and am frustrated as hell but I knew it'd take longer than I wanted it to, it always does. You should have had your expectations managed. And no, it won't have been written 'in the contract', it may be on the property forms - as my requested exchange of late August was - but it isn't in The Contract at all. You don't have Rights to call someone who hasn't provided their number, they have employed an EA so they don't have to deal with you directly. Why would they pay thousands of pounds otherwise.
    What your EA said was a load of rubbish, he can chase solicitors even once a discussion has begun.
    I appreciate you're frustrated but thinking you're entitled to move on a certain date helps no-one. Chill out a bit. This is the easy one - next time you'll have to both buy and sell.

I think the OP said the house has been underpinned so can understand the need for the information.
  • I think the OP said the house has been underpinned so can understand the need for the information.

Ah. Apologies.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    My ex husband was a teacher and got one day off to move house. Check with his work. Or delay it until October and take the pressure off everyone. This is not to be rushed. If there are issues, which there seem to be, it will take longer.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Regarding you wanting to know who the insurance is with I can kind of see them not telling you because there's no need to, it's not part of the purchase and their insurance can't be transferred (I've had enquiries from customers wanting to do this - working in insurance broking).

Insurers who can deal with properties that have been underpinned, Towergate, Swinton used to have a scheme (not sure if they still do).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure