PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Flat under offer - found hole in the roof...

We're selling our top floor flat which is currently under offer and have just found a hole in the roof. I'm I obliged to tell the buyer?

The flat comes with a share of the freehold so we would be liable (along with the other freeholders) for any repairs if we were staying.

I've patched the hole to stop the rain coming in and causing too much damp.

Also, what would be a guess at average cost for repairing a 3 story mid terrace roof?

Thanks

Comments

• Lost123 wrote: »
    We're selling our top floor flat which is currently under offer and have just found a hole in the roof. I'm I obliged to tell the buyer?

The flat comes with a share of the freehold so we would be liable (along with the other freeholders) for any repairs if we were staying.

I've patched the hole to stop the rain coming in and causing too much damp.

Also, what would be a guess at average cost for repairing a 3 story mid terrace roof?

Thanks

Legally and more importantly, morally; yes.
  • Has the survey been carried out yet? I wouldn't tell them but get it repaired swiftly before the surveyor comes round. If it's broke and then fixed, no need to declare it, you may only spook your buyer.

Also, if repairs are booked but not yet done and the place is surveyed, you may end up having to provide proof of repairs, there may be issues with their mortgage lender etc. Best to sort it out quick.

Cost depends on exactly whats wrong. Call a couple of roofers but be wary of check a trade etc, my experience is those places are full of sharks who can't get work any other way.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you arrange repair before Exchange there's no problem.

If not, you should tell the buyer.

Is repair the responsibility of the freeholder? Have you written to the freeholder? Has the freeholder replied?

When you say 'hole' what do you mean? One tile has slipped and needs replacing? £30 if you can pursuade a guy with a ladder to go up (most building or roofing firms may want scafolding for a 3 storey building which will add £500+)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Get it fixed soonest because it'll mean it's not a problem for your buyer (they won't pull out) and you can leave with a clear conscience.

On the issue of paying though, just because you have a share of the freehold, don't assume everybody has to pay. You need to just double check the individual leases to see who has the roof repair as their liability - it might, also, be in differing percentages, so not an even split of costs.

It might be entirely you that has to pay, it might be half you and the rest split between the other flats. Every lease is different.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Lost123 wrote: »

You should be obliged to get it fixed on teh grounds it will get worse if you dont ! Whether thats your liability or shared between all owners,you'll have to determine, but i'd be on the phone to roofers right now !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure