Cooker circuit- legal requirements

Options
Rock_007
Rock_007 Posts: 66 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi, i have recently opened up the cooker switch just to check the fuse rating as i am looking to buy a new cooker. when i saw the wires there is some thing wired i found and i am not sure if it is legally correct.
I can see three cable coming direct from the fuse box but at the same time i can see two cables(3 cable inside each) going into the switch back holes,one feeding to the exhaust fanand the other going to the garage.

Is it legally allowed as i have heard that cooker circuit should be separated and coming from the main supplying nothing else should be connected to it.

much appreciated any advise and comments.

dgj5mr.jpg

The screwdriver trip is showing the one coming from the main supply fuse and the other two white is feeding from here.

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    It looks like a bodge job but then I guess you won't mind given your other thread.

It's good to see you're using an insulated screwdriver and have missed the unsleeved earth.
  • Rock_007
    Options
    The reason i am asking if it needs to be changed and if separate cable should have laid for other two circuits from the main supply fuse.
  • decbel
    decbel Posts: 2,804 Forumite
    Options
    The cooker needs its own circuit.

Having said that if anything was going to happen it would already have happened.

New cooker-different ball game.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Holy heck that's rough.

Back box not plastered in properly.
    Unsleeved earth (okay that's normal until about 1974 but should have been corrected when the newer cables were put in)
    No grommets on back box
    Not sure the thin white cable (might even be flex) has its earth connected to anything
    The fan is almost certainly unsuitable for direct connection to a 30 amp cooker supply and must be fused down to 3 amp
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Complete and utter rubbish. Have the electrical installation inspected and tested as required periodically by BS7671.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Rock_007
    Rock_007 Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 8:41PM
    Options
    I am not aware about BS7671. i bought the house not very long ago so i haven't got any record before that but i am sure last owner hasn't done any check looking into the cables!
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    Rock_007 wrote: »
    I am not aware about BS7671. i bought the house not very long ago so i haven't got any record before that but i am sure he hasn't done any check looking into the cables!

It's all contained here. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BK1717slash3.html?ad_position=1t1&source=adwords&ad_id=102933702797&placement=&kw=bs7671&network=g&matchtype=e&ad_type=&product_id=&product_partition_id=&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq5Tuoq-b1gIVirvtCh0SMgFmEAAYASAAEgJ4OfD_BwE
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Agree with other posters regarding the quality of work - In addition, the cooker switch isn't doing anything. The "mains in" wires share the same holes as the "mains out" and no sign of cable for a cooker.

The cable colours indicate that the wiring was done before 2004, and that white cable looks as if it has paint on it (reused cable perhaps ?). The whole house needs to be checked by a qualified electrician and you need to seriously consider budgeting for a rewire.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is the 'cooker' gas or electric? Might make a difference!

I have a gas cooker, but it is electric also for ignition, and the oven fan.
    My I moved in about ten years ago, had an electrical inspection done (recommended by the BS) - no mention of the socket. However, when I was having restoration work done on the wall after a water pipe leak, they said it wasn't up to current standards. It had a socket in which the cooker & extractor hood plugs went into.
    Now they are both wired into a fuse socket.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Rock_007
    Options
    The Cooker is duel fuel and is 13A fue in the switch for cooker.

I have shown to some electrician and at this point i will just disconnect the Garage and Fan from that switch and just keep the connection for the Cooker.
    As after disconnecting the Fan we will left with no Fan in Kitchen , just the window and the door i think it should be okay as i have not seen any where in building regulation that fan is a must for Kitchen!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure