Excess Mileage Charge - Reached Debt Collectors

Hi All,

Long story short, I became unemployed and then using online advice I VT'd my car. I had planned to keep the vehicle at the end of the term so mileage didn't matter.

So after VT'd they said based on the estimated mileage I was over, I pointed out that I had paid 50% and that was all I was obligated to pay. The debt has now been passed to DLC, so now I'm not sure what my next move is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    I've just googled as I was intrigued as to the answer - and it appears as the first hit if you google voluntary termination excess mileage - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5180860
  • Yeh I have read most of the posts about it. But many do not mention how to deal with the debt collectors.

As far as I am aware, I am not responsible for this debt or obligated to pay it. However, in don't know how to address the debt collectors to tell them that.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yeh I have read most of the posts about it. But many do not mention how to deal with the debt collectors.

As far as I am aware, I am not responsible for this debt or obligated to pay it. However, in don't know how to address the debt collectors to tell them that.

Have you taken it to the Financial Ombudsman Service?
  • From what I have read the FOS do not help with a contract dispute. And they are unlikely to pay attention to the fact that the mileage charge is voided by the terms of VT.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    From what I have read the FOS do not help with a contract dispute. And they are unlikely to pay attention to the fact that the mileage charge is voided by the terms of VT.

As I understand it from this forum, the FOS have ruled that the excess mileage is not enforceable, so I suspect they have helped before.

Also what is to be lost by going to them? It's the finance house that has to pay their fee regardless of the outcome, not you.
  • Ok, thanks I will call them today. Will let you know what they say.
  • Sadly the opposite is the case http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=65660

However the decision is not binding on the consumer and it is reported that this has not yet been tested in court.
  • There is one sure fire way to deal with debt collectors.

Ignore them, they are powerless.
  • I emailed them asking if they are able to settle contractual disputes.

To me if the condition to VT is 50% and good condition then to be charged for mileage after goes against the nature of VT. If you are VTing because you can't afford the item anymore then to be thrown an additional charge on top puts you into more financial difficulty. And in my case I would have been as well maintaining monthly payments for a period.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    How many miles are you over by?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills