Carers allowance, earning limit and pensions

Brighty
Brighty Posts: 755 Forumite
edited 8 September 2017 at 11:05AM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi all

My wife currently receives CA for our son.

We have just relocated back up north and as the kids are now back at school she's looking for part time work.

She visited her old work yesterday, a care home, and was pretty much offered a job on the spot.

Hours and shifts to still be thrashed out, but it's obviously not worth her earning more than the allowed £116 a week as she'd lose CA and be working all those extra hours for nothing.

Hours and shifts could be variable and they often phone up looking to cover extra shifts due to holidays and sickness

She'll be paid monthly, so am i right in thinking that they ignore what she earns in a particular week and just look at her monthly pay slip and average out by multiplying it by 12 and dividing by 52 to get an average weekly wage for that month? So she could earn over £116 one week, so long as the total for that month is under £502?

Secondly, i understand that she can also deduct half of any pension payments from the total. So is it possible to open a stakeholder pension or SIPP and then any month she earns over £502, put double the excess into a pension. Do they take account of pension payments month by month, or by the year?

If anyone does the above, any suggestions of a good pension provider that can be opened with a minimal initial deposit, allows variable monthly payments, preferably online, and also allows a v small compulsory monthly payment for the months where she earns under the limit?

Thanks

Brighty

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills