PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New Freeholder Owner - Potentially Dodgy Company

Hello,

I’m in the process of buying a leasehold flat. I was under the impression that this was owned by Telford Homes although today I found out that the freehold was sold to Adriatic Land who use a company called Home Ground to collect the ground rent. Having checked the internet it appears that Home Ground are a fairly dodgy operation. They seem to charge excessive fees for ground rent payments that are late and their website has no phone number to contact.

I need some advice. Do I just pull out of the deal? If I pull out of the deal I’ll lose a bunch of money I’ve already paid (broker and solicitor) plus 5 months of my life getting to this advanced stage of the sale. Or do I go ahead with the sale and risk that I have no problems with Home Ground?

I know at the end of the day it’s my decision to pull out or not but I’d appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Callum

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well it's your choice and to some extent depends how much you like the property.

This is an increasing problem though, especially with New Build estates where the developer sells on the freehold to money-grabbing investment companies whose only concern is to satisfy their shareholders.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why do you want to pay the ground rent late?
  • Crsaun
    Crsaun Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    From what I've read in forums it's less to do with paying the ground rent late, it's more to do with payment letters not being received by the leasehold and then Home Ground charging late payments.

There are also complaints about them not providing information therefore holding up sales. Not great.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it is only ground rent that worries you, then one possibility is to set up a standing order to ensure it is paid on time.

What happens about service charges?

It's your call. Which would make you kick yourself hardest - pulling out or going ahead? Can you find something else just as good? Or is it likely that in the area you want, most of the properties in your budget will have the same problem?
  • Crsaun
    First Anniversary
    Thanks.

The service charge is managed by another company.
    Yes, if I go though with the sale I'll definitely set up the direct debit. I'm just expecting something to go wrong during the transfer of the property i.e. they continue sending letters to the former owner and then charge me a tonne for late payment.
    I just don't like the idea of the freehold being owned by some mysterious offshore investment company (Adriatic Land).
    I’ll have to weigh up the pros and cons and make a decision.
  • If it was me I'd pull out.

I have heard of Adriatic before and not in a good way.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    BBH123 wrote: »
    If it was me I'd pull out.

I have heard of Adriatic before and not in a good way.

There isn't just one company. There are at least 12 of them with names in the style ADRIATIC LAND x (GRy) Ltd where x and y are numbers from 1 to 4. They are ultimately owned by Jetty Finance Ltd which is registered in Ireland
  • Crsaun
    First Anniversary
    My train of thought at the moment is as follows: since I only see myself living at this property for 3-5 years (before moving out of London), the risks are smaller because I have no intention of trying to buy the freehold which is where the majority of problems with Adriatic Land appear to arise. I will keep an eye on Home Ground to ensure I have no problems with ground rent.

So, unless anyone can point out any other major problems with Adriatic Land or Home Ground that I should know about before my purchase, then I'll just take the plunge and go ahead with it....

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure