do you use a foreign sim card when abroad and, if so how?

Options
i am asking this as i am a little unsure how to go about using my smartphone abroad. when you go abroad how do you personally go about using your phone? do you use a local sim card?

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not within the EU as there is no point. The rates are the same as the UK.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I often use a local SIM, I put it in my phone. It depends on the country, my needs and circumstances. What are yours?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I have a three pay as you go sim for use in the USA, just add a feel at home package to it
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    I have a three pay as you go sim for use in the USA, just add a feel at home package to it

Whenever I've used my Three PAYG phone abroad, I automatically get feel at home rates if they are available. I've never added a package.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Whenever I've used my Three PAYG phone abroad, I automatically get feel at home rates if they are available. I've never added a package.

I only use it in the USA, and each visit I top up with £10 and then convert it to feel at home to get the texts,calls and data
  • ThinkingOutLoud_2
    Options
    Depends where you are going and whether you need data or just calls and texts.

As of June - as stated the law changed and you can use whatever voice calls your deal has when in the EU for no more money.

Outside most contracts offer a variety of add ins.

Take a look at your providers details and check if you will have access to free wifi at your hotel / nearby coffee shops and restaurants before you fork out. If on holiday - do you really need more than a few free data based sessions a day?
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes: my handset is unlocked, so whenever I arrive in a new country I pick up a local PAYG Sim and just slip it in...
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    i am asking this as i am a little unsure how to go about using my smartphone abroad. when you go abroad how do you personally go about using your phone? do you use a local sim card?

Data roaming off and rely on wifi connections.

Often means hovering near Starbucks in America.

In Europe it's not so much of an issue.

Outside Europe I recently used the Three package. Forwarded my calls to the Three number and put the Three SIM in my unlocked phone. I did lose some messages, though in theory that shouldn't have happened.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Blue264
    Blue264 Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    Options
    Yes: my handset is unlocked, so whenever I arrive in a new country I pick up a local PAYG Sim and just slip it in...
    Same here.
    I have a dual SIM phone, so just ignore my 'home' sim and insert a local PAYG sim. I've got into the habit of changing the second SIM as the plane lands, or at baggage reclaim, if it's one of my regular countries. If it's somewhere new and non-EU, we get PAYG SIMs at the airport and swap numbers immediately in case we get separated.
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    I only use it in the USA, and each visit I top up with £10 and then convert it to feel at home to get the texts,calls and data

This is what intrigues me. Whenever I visit a feel at home country, I get a text from Three advising of the rates and, apart from local calls (outside the EU), they are exactly the same as I pay in the UK. I don't convert anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure