PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Debtor traced, pre-action sent, what next?

I received a judgement for £8000+ back in November 2016. This is regarding a former tenant. My solicitors traced him and sent a "pre-action" letter with no response. I would now like to take this further but my relationship with the solicitor has broken down. What should be my next step?

The solicitor has never provided me with a copy of the judgement and they didn't reveal the address of the ex-tenant.

When I asked the solicitor what to do next they basically said "nothing until you pay us £XXX", and trust me that £XXX was a large amount of money and had never been mentioned until that point (I had paid requests from them up to that point).

This is a well known local firm of Solicitors with a long history.

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Extortion is a criminal offence and should be reported to the police.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    mrginge wrote: »
    Extortion is a criminal offence and should be reported to the police.

I doubt very much that a solicitor would be carrying out extortion on the OP. It's more likely that they need the money to cover disbursements or the OP still owes money and the solicitors will not continue until they have been paid.
  • I don't think they are extorting - just giving me very poor service. I've never once received an invoice for anything as of yet.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    aneary wrote: »
    I doubt very much that a solicitor would be carrying out extortion on the OP. It's more likely that they need the money to cover disbursements or the OP still owes money and the solicitors will not continue until they have been paid.

According to the OP the solicitor is demanding money for apparently no reason.

Unless of course the OP is simply editorialising so they can then drip feed the actual salient points.
  • david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I received a judgement for £8000+ back in November 2016. This is regarding a former tenant. My solicitors traced him and sent a "pre-action" letter with no response. I would now like to take this further but my relationship with the solicitor has broken down. What should be my next step? You can ask for a copy of the case file (you will need to pay an admin charge), including all documents they have referred to (contact details, the judgement, the PA letter, etc) throughout. As long as you are paid-up so far, I'm pretty sure they have to provide this. Once you have it, withdraw your instruction and tell them to close their file and incur no further costs.

The solicitor has never provided me with a copy of the judgement and they didn't reveal the address of the ex-tenant.

When I asked the solicitor what to do next they basically said "nothing until you pay us £XXX", and trust me that £XXX was a large amount of money and had never been mentioned until that point (I had paid requests from them up to that point).

This is a well known local firm of Solicitors with a long history.

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

To be clear, are the solicitors saying you owe them money, or that they want money to proceed further?
  • aneary
    mrginge wrote: »
    According to the OP the solicitor is demanding money for apparently no reason.

Unless of course the OP is simply editorialising so they can then drip feed the actual salient points.

I don't think the OP has given the full story hence why I don't think the solicitor is demanding money for no reason.
  • The OP says that the money had not been asked for before; not that it isn't owed.
  • david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    aneary wrote: »

OP said that the money was for advice on what to do next, not for services so far.

Sounds like they simply want money up-front, which is completely normal.
  • aneary
    david1951 wrote: »
    OP said that the money was for advice on what to do next, not for services so far.

Which is why I said disbursements.

However I would like to know how the relationship broke down.
  • david1951 wrote: »

Actually the OP only said they want money before they proceed any further. This could be for services so far or up-front. If there's £1000 owed in fees it's quite understandable that they won't undertake further work until that's paid off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure