"Your Windows License Will Expire Soon"

13»

Comments

• emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    a majority of Windows Domestic users would buy commercial software as that is what they are told they need.
    it is only tech savvy users that use alternatives as we know better. it is the same with printer ink. The amount of people i see that moan on the cost of ink and when i tell them just to use compatibles they say ' but it says i must use genuine inks or it will break my printer'

Hmm? I can see people with children at school or college might be persuaded to go out and buy the cheaper student edition of Microsoft Office, but I can't see anyone buying the full version unless they are in business.

I think most people use what came with their machine or use free tools like Google Docs etc.

When I got my first XP computer in 2002 it came with the Microsoft Works suite pre-installed. When I moved to Windows 7 I installed that same Works suite, and the same when I moved to Windows 8.
    It won't work in Windows 10 so I made the move to Libre Office (including for my business).

For simple photo editing on Windows I'm still using the Arcsoft Photo Impression 3.0 that came free with my Epson scanner in 2002. It still works fine in Windows 10 64bit. :D
    In Linux I use GIMP, and I'd use that in Windows too, if the Arcsoft prog ever stops working.

I would have thought I was typical? :D
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    emptybox wrote: »
    Hmm? I can see people with children at school or college might be persuaded to go out and buy the cheaper student edition of Microsoft Office, but I can't see anyone buying the full version unless they are in business.

I think most people use what came with their machine or use free tools like Google Docs etc.

When I got my first XP computer in 2002 it came with the Microsoft Works suite pre-installed. When I moved to Windows 7 I installed that same Works suite, and the same when I moved to Windows 8.
    It won't work in Windows 10 so I made the move to Libre Office (including for my business).

For simple photo editing on Windows I'm still using the Arcsoft Photo Impression 3.0 that came free with my Epson scanner in 2002. It still works fine in Windows 10 64bit. :D
    In Linux I use GIMP, and I'd use that in Windows too, if the Arcsoft prog ever stops working.

I would have thought I was typical? :D
    people do as that is what they think they have too, unless your tech savvy they you dont know of alternatives or how to get the alternatives. this is why MS charge so much as they know they target the gullible people that know no better, even MS support is shocking as you get 2 free support helps with any OS licence and then after that you are charged £29 which you must pay before they chat with you and 9/120 they will just go through a total reinstall of the OS
  • HoofeHearted
    HoofeHearted Posts: 2,651 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Don't know what the Win7 container file is but I've got a Win 7/10 dual boot - with 10 created from 7. The update process didn't/shouldn't have consumed the win 7 license. Both of mine are running fine.

That is what I did when Win 10 became available.
    Both are still working fine for me as well.:j
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A major bugbear in my job is when students hand in work in non-standard form. It used to be they'd use MSWorks ad I'd have to hunt down the last machine in the building that could open it. Or they'd use Prezi instead of powerpoint so we don't have a version we can send to be checked by external authorities.
    Or, using office-like equivalents but not saving in an office version.

It's like waiting for a kidney transplant and find they've given you an extra heart instead because it's a more important and more vital organ.

In the education sector, how can we trust people to learn to understand a complex world when they struggle with simple things like "give me a Word document on a certain day"?
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    zagubov wrote: »
    In the education sector, how can we trust people to learn to understand a complex world when they struggle with simple things like "give me a Word document on a certain day"?
    Unless you give them Office for free, I'm not sure that will be a 'simple' task for people who don't have finances or an alternative way to easily access Word.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Considering that there are now online versions available to use for free, there is really no reason why people should struggle to get the right format
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Jivesinger wrote: »
    Unless you give them Office for free, I'm not sure that will be a 'simple' task for people who don't have finances or an alternative way to easily access Word.

I think some universities do make it available. In fact according to the main part of the website, it sounds like most do.

Or at the very least give them access to free ones whose output can be saved in an office version.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure