Cost of installing a PP meter

aneary
aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
I've just started renting a property with a prepayment meter I've found out that British Gas will swap it over to a normal meter for free.

I will ask my LL if they will let me do that but as a sweetener I was going to offer them the money to change it back after I leave but I can't find out this cost does anyone have an idea?

Comments

• Depends on the Supplier but around £75 plus VAT is what my supplier charges. If they instal a Smart Credit meter, changing it back to PAYG will cost nothing.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    aneary wrote: »
    I've just started renting a property with a prepayment meter I've found out that British Gas will swap it over to a normal meter for free.

I will ask my LL if they will let me do that but as a sweetener I was going to offer them the money to change it back after I leave but I can't find out this cost does anyone have an idea?

I believe in most cases BG do not charge to install a PPM.
    If you change supplier, you will have to make enquiries of that supplier as to their policy.

However, if the landlord gives you permission to change the meter, then you should be able to leave the property with a credit meter. (and expect no penalty applied)

If permission is denied, as long as you ensure the PPM is re-installed prior to the end of your tenancy, I don't foresee any issues. :)
  • aneary
    Both changes are free so I'm going to ask the LL today.

Although I know legally I can change them without permission there is a 6 months break clause I don't want that happening as I will end up with another few hundred pounds in letting fees.
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    The landlord shouldnt have a say in this. They are your bills and changing meter does no damage to the property.
  • Biscuit_Tin
    Biscuit_Tin Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    The landlord shouldnt have a say in this. They are your bills and changing meter does no damage to the property.
    Renting? You'll need your landlord's permission to switch meter

If you want to change from a prepay to a credit meter, then it's best to get written permission from your landlord first.

This is because it could be seen as changing the property from its original condition, unless you arrange to change the meter back at the end of the tenancy. The supplier may charge to do this so check first.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity
  • aneary
    The LL has agreed via email as long as I change it back prior to leaving which I have no issue doing.

BG has confirmed there isn't a charge to change it to a credit meter (I need to pass a credit check) and there isn't a charge to change it back.

Although BG isn't the cheapest supplier a credit meter is cheaper and as they don't charge for the changes I will go onto their cheapest plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure