Skincare for a teenager with oily skin and spots- but that are "fun"

OK so cutting a long story short; I've got a neice who is nearly 13, in fact so near that it's her birthday this weekend. It's a sensitive area but I want to help her out with her skin.

What I have noticed- and I feel bad about saying this, is that her skin is not looking great....I can see she has a lot of spots and I wanted to try to help with that. I've a feeling that skincare isn't something she does. It's a sensitive area. I do not want to offend her or make her think it's a problem which is so obvious that she ends up with issues. But I know she hasn't fully hit puberty yet and can only see this becoming more of a problem for her knowing how much it affected friends I had growing up.

Now I have to be honest here- I don't know a lot about having huge issues with spots to the degree she has them. I also don't know anything about oily skin types (mine is super dry and very sensitive/fussy and though I have big issues and skin problems, we don't share them and I know her mum has my skin type too).
I don't think she has properly medical acne or requires a Doctors help, I get the feeling it's down to having oily skin-type and maybe using her mums products (for dry sensitive adult skin) if she uses any at all. I think (or know from speaking to her) that a cleanser isn't something she buys so imagine the spots are from not keeping her skin clean or cleaning properly.

I have thought about getting her some products which are fun but will just keep her face clean- but wont be gimmicks that wear off after a week. I know she loved the Konak sponge I bought her mum a year ago, I want to get her more than a sponge though and I want to get her something that helps her out here.

I recon I can get around the offence thing by buying something that is interesting and fun rather than serious I think I can sneak through the sensitivity thing, but what I need is something that works. I know she likes Lush if this is any help.

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    jenniewb wrote: »
    I think (or know from speaking to her) that a cleanser isn't something she buys so imagine the spots are from not keeping her skin clean or cleaning properly.

The NHS lists poor hygene causing acne as a myth. See:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/acne/Pages/causes.aspx
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    I'm sorry to say that if one of my aunts had made comments about my skin when I was a teenager then I'd have been deeply offended and would not have ever spoken to her again.
  • I ve bought my daughter the skin genius range and it is working wonders. Being how body aware girls are i am sure she will appreciate your help.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Could you afford an auntie/ niece beauty day and get a manicure and facials together? Some beauty salons do 'couples' rooms; having you with her, getting the same treatment at the same time, would be more fun and less intimidating.

Having her skin professionally cleaned might enthuse her. It would also mean she got appropriate products. A lot of 'teenage oily spot' products are incredibly harsh and actually exacerbate the problem.
  • cherylsurrey
    cherylsurrey Posts: 165 Forumite
    I was the same at her age, and skin care made no difference. I was extreamly clean with my skin which was very oily, so it could make people think I didnt wash my face, but I did. When people told me to wash my face twice a day, or use Clearasil, or a face mask I got very upset as I did all that, probably more than they ever did, and it did make me feel that everyone thought I was dirty with poor hygiene.

I had to have proper medical treatment for my acne, and thats what I would advise any young person who is getting more than just the odd spot to do before it gets out of control.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Get her gift card from her favourite clothes shop.
    Talk to her Mum about her skin.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Get her gift card from her favourite clothes shop.
    Talk to her Mum about her skin.

Agreed. I don't think a teenage girl would appreciate getting acne products for her birthday, however well-intentioned.
  • If you feel bad about saying it, think how awful she'll feel if you do say it.

How do you know it's even an issue for her?
    I had the usual spots as a teen, it is pretty much inevitable, but I didn't care at all. I used products and tried to eat well, but I didn't spend my time worrying about it.
    I still get the odd one or two in my 30s.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    What about a voucher for a facial and she can get skincare advice at the same time.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I know you mean well, but acne products, for a birthday present? Sorry, that's just cruel.

If this is acne and not just a few spots she needs to see her GP no waste money on products that may not help.

Could you really not speak to her mother about this rather than embarrassing the poor child?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure