Garage carried out work without permission

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NessieGB wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice MrJones. My current plan of action is to go into the centre tomorrow on my lunch and tell them I want the old springs replaced. I'll be on my motorbike so will record the interaction with my GoPro just incase they start playing silly !!!!!!s. Hopefully they play fair and I can have my car back asap..

Wouldn't that be funny if it went "No problem Mr.Nessie, here's your keys but in case you were thinking of driving this unsafe car on the road I'll be phoning the police if you drive it away." Can't say they've not done what you asked and they're being upstanding citizens informing the police about a dangerous vehicle being used on the road in a knowingly dangerous state.

How do you intend driving the car home given that with the broken springs in it is illegal to drive on the road because it doesn't meet the minimum standards?

Personally I'd not be too happy knowingly driving a car with broken springs.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bit dramatic, the garage sound surprised and now they know the work wasn't required are sorting it.
    Doesn't sound dodgy to me, just a mix up
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    If I were the garage owner, I'd just snap the new springs that were fitted on the car now and hand it back to the OP. Saves on even more labour swapping them over. Plus it's a bit spiteful too.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This forum is even more nasty than usual. Must be something in the water...
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    debtdebt wrote: »
    If I were the garage owner, I'd just snap the new springs that were fitted on the car now and hand it back to the OP. Saves on even more labour swapping them over. Plus it's a bit spiteful too.

The OP's springs probably only had a small part broken off the end.
    Pretty hard to replicate that whilst they're fitted onto a car.

If you were the garage owner, would you do work to people's cars without their consent?
    All your base are belong to us.
  • NessieGB
    NessieGB Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Just an update on the situation incase anyone is interested.

Got my car back today and had to pay £110 for the privilege as he had the car up on a ramp and wouldn't take it off unless I paid him, even with threats of trading standards, solicitors and police. Clearly he wasn't worried about losing out on labour if he could afford to keep the car on the ramp for at least 2 days (if not 4).

Anyway I'm glad the ordeal is over now and it's given me a good excuse to use the motorbike.

Thanks for everyone's advice during this thread.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What was the £110 for?
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    If it's £110 for an MOT, a pair of springs and a drop link I'd be ecstatic.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    debtdebt wrote: »
    If it's £110 for an MOT, a pair of springs and a drop link I'd be ecstatic.
    Would you be quite so ecstatic if the work on the springs and drop link weren't required in the first place and were simply replaced because the garage wanted to increase their income?

Was this the case here?
    Who knows. The OP certainly doesn't because they weren't given the chance to make an informed decision before being held to ransom to get their car back.
  • Noree
    Noree Posts: 166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This place should be condemned for their actions.

No matter what garage you go to, it's always worth checking the likes of reviews etc.

I would highly recommend you find out if any garage you're considering is part of any particular recognised Code of Practice.

Many garages under a Code of Practice are now also Trading Standards approved.

Find them here:

https://www.tradingstandards.uk/consumers

Just remember there are plenty of fantastic garages about. I wouldn't get an MOT anywhere for less than £45 to start with, unless I have a discount with a service plan through a recognised franchised dealership.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure