benefits & winning money

Comments

• Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    jadc007 wrote: »
    to be honest I have never claimed benefits so wouldn't no the ins and outs of winning money and claiming so didn't think nothing of it and her putting it my account was something like i said she knows im good with maintaining rather then blowing it like she would of done lol. Yep I'll push her to get it sorted asap - I would of hoped she looked also but she did tell me she had no clue she had too but hey thanks again

Clearly not as you did allow her to 'blow' £19k in 7 months :eek:
  • Placitasgirl
    Placitasgirl Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    thanks for info so far, she starting to think the worse of going to prison, they stop her benefits altogether ... so can you guarantee it will be alright to tell her shes being silly and it's not as bad as she thinks? obviously she will get the full story when shes speaks to them again

I think that you need to help prepare your Mum for what may happen next; she has committed benefit fraud and she's not being silly being concerned about the outcome of the investigation and the consequences of it. It's likely that your Mum will be invited to attend an interview at the DWP; this may be called a "compliance" interview or an "interview under caution" if they believe an offence may have been committed. It's also possible that her benefits will reduce significantly in order to recover any monies she received but was not entitled to. Receiving such a large amount of money would be classed as a "significant change" for most of us, and in claiming benefits one has a duty to report any and all significant changes, whether it is believed they'll affect entitlement to benefits or not.

You may also be asked about the money you held in your account for your Mum as it is possible this could be interpreted as trying to hide the money. If you live 100 miles away how did you plan to help your Mum manage this money? I think it's highly likely you'd be asked about this. You say that you have never claimed benefits, but whilst your Mum's money was in your accounts it is legally classed as your money, so presumably you would have declared this as yours during this period?

You say that "the social have investigated her". How has she become aware of this? Has she received a letter or been asked to attend an appointment?

I also agree that your Mum should respond to any request to contact the DWP as soon as possible so that the process of further investigation and outcome can be started.
  • Stop_Watch
    Stop_Watch Posts: 122 Forumite
    Why are so many people defending benefit fraud? That is what she has committed.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Stop_Watch wrote: »

Who are the 'so many people?'
  • Placitasgirl
    Placitasgirl Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It doesn't appear to me that anybody here has defended benefit fraud, let alone "so many people".
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Stop_Watch wrote: »
    Why do you always comment on posts regarding benefit? If there's any other posts you're never seen!! No one has defended anyone!
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    I also think that the OP herself could well be accused of 'aiding and abetting' her mother to commit benefit fraud and thus complicit in the offence
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I also think that the OP herself could well be accused of 'aiding and abetting' her mother to commit benefit fraud and thus complicit in the offence

I don't think that is an 'offence'.

It's only the person who claims the benefit who has broken the law if they haven't declared everything.
  • jadc007 wrote: »
    hehe, that's OK.

thanks for info so far, she starting to think the worse of going to prison, they stop her benefits altogether ... so can you guarantee it will be alright to tell her shes being silly and it's not as bad as she thinks? obviously she will get the full story when shes speaks to them again

thanks again

No. But 99% of benefit cheats avoid prison. She might have an overpayment, she might be slapped with an administrative penalty, she might be prosecuted, she could go to jail or she could end up with a criminal record.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    calleyw wrote: »
    Also they may treat her as still having the money.

As the DWP have a formula they use to see how long it should last. And spending £19K in 12 months is not allowed.

You mum needs to be honest and truthful with them. And get on to the family members she helped. And explain she needs the money back asap.

Yours

Calley

To be fair £19k in a year is a feasible amount to be spent in a year when you look at what they class as the average yearly wage and normal outgoings of a working person.

It appears that it's a compliance case from the telephone call?

Basically they will pass on what your mother has stated to a DM who will now decide what period the benefits need to be stopped for and if they are happy with the excuse given for the hiding of and expenditure of said win.

They may also ask for bank statements and confirmation of who and where the money went before passing it to a DM to speed up the process, if this has not already been done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure