Euhost.com complaint problem server ransom hacking!

Options
duckman121
duckman121 Posts: 11 Forumite
edited 14 July 2017 at 7:19PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Hi guys

So I am a website owner who relys on his websites to earn a living, i recently put my websites on
I post this out of sheer frustration and annoyance at how I have been treated by this company, on Thursday night all my websites were just showing errros on the pages.

So contacted the live support who after a few hours or looking around said we are sorry but your server has been ransome hacked we cant do anything, we want to format the server please give us the go ahead ?? which means someone hacked and encrypted everything and you have to pay to get it back

I was like WHAT everything was on that server ???? they said we will look into it more, and on the friday evening i was called and told well actually we think we have resolved this, great i thought they got them back.

Only to wake up saturday morning to another email saying, sorry we couldnt get anything back you have been hacked we tried but cant do anything sorry.

I went to live support ( as there is no customer services on sat or sun) was told that someone would call me back, this was 1 o clock, no oen called me, Saturday or Sunday.

I rang today to complain, and argue the fact that i have lost everything and its going to cost me well in excess of £500 to put all this right thru no fault of my own.

Spoke to john who was reasonably sympathetic only to be called back an hour later and said well actually we will give you a free months service £40, and also told i would have 3 months free backups (which really is pointless as i have nothing to back up anymore how stupid can you get) also when i refused this offer, the customer service agent said well we can cancel your account now on the line if you like, great thanks a lot!

It is really a bitter pill to swallow to lose everything, and then have to foot the bill to fix everything thru no fault of your own, and i know what some people will say why didnt you hack it all up, well i had 40 gigs of stuff on my server which is very hard to back up

To make an offer of £40 its pretty pathetic i think, the amout of time i spend chasing people calling people, with very little sympathy from any of the staff at EUhost they do not seem to understand this affect my bills my lively hood, and i am now forced to rebuild and pay them for hosting at the same time !!!

JJ

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2017 at 11:36AM
    Options
    So you hadn't made any backups of your business website?

This is a consumer rights forum and your contract appears to be a business to business one, and as such you are reliant on the terms of your agreement with EUhost.
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    duckman121 wrote: »
    and i know what some people will say why didnt you hack it all up, well i had 40 gigs of stuff on my server which is very hard to back up

Well not really since they clearly offer a backup service...

As stated above though the terms of loss will be based on your contract, I can imagine they have a liability clause in there.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 5:43PM
    Options
    duckman121 wrote: »
    i know what some people will say why didnt you Back it all up, well i had 40 gigs of stuff on my server which is very hard to back up

Not really, get yourself a cheap $2 VPS ( i use a $2.50 server with 100GB space), install cPanel DNS only (free) and then either purchase cpremote $5 a month or jetbackup $3.95 a month and backup your server accounts.

If you have lost everything then i would just tell them to close account and you can go elsewhere. and when you do install CSF (free) on server.
  • angryparcel
    Options
    it is clear they are not UK based as the site is in German. this is the liability clause in their terms
    7. Liability

7.1 We assume no liability for direct damage, consequential damage or loss of profit due to technical problems and disturbances within the Internet which are not within our sphere of influence.

7.2 We shall not be liable towards entrepreneurs in case of slightly negligent breach of immaterial contractual obligations. This does not apply in all cases of personal injury and in accordance with the Product Liability Act.

We shall be liable for indirect damages and consequential damages as well as for loss of profit against entrepreneurs only with intent and gross negligence. In this case, our liability is limited to the foreseeable damage, max. To 100% of the annual product rental.

7.3 If the customer infringes the obligations stated in clause 6, in particular against legal prohibitions or good morals, he shall be liable to us for the compensation of all direct and indirect damages arising therefrom as well as property damage. In addition, the customer undertakes to release us from claims of third parties - of whatever nature - resulting from the illegality of content placed on the internet. The obligation to release also includes the obligation to release us completely from legal defense costs (eg court and legal costs).
  • duckman121
    Options
    yes i have actually told them i wont be keeping it, but when i said that the woman on the phone just said do you want me to cancel it now while your here then !
  • duckman121
    edited 10 July 2017 at 8:08PM
    Options
    I had only just moved the websites, so I didn't have backups a few minor ones but like I said I had 40 gig you wanna try downloading that to your PC, the point is it shouldn't ever happen anyway, and am sure they have plenty of get out clauses and won't do a thing either, but actually it's the fact they don't care that really bothers me, and the fact I am just another number, i spoke to like 10 different people and have to explain the situation to everyone, who really didn't seem that arsed, no one likes to be treated like that especially when something awful happens.

I didn't ask for them to pay for my sites rebuilding i asked for a gesture of goodwill, but there was little point asking someone who doesn't care anyway.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are people who know why they need to keep backups, and there are people who are going to find out why.

Computers die. Hard disks crash and web sites get hacked. If you weren't paying for their backup service, then they will just assume that you're keeping your own backups.

Ultimately, their contract doesn't make them liable. As a business, you read their terms and agreed to them. There's precious little you can do other than learn from it and move on.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • angryparcel
    Options
    It costs me approx. £6 for a cheap server and jetbackup licence to backup my own server (152GB used). i have this scheduled to backup at 4 am in the morning and it is done in less than 1 hr as after the initial backup it does incremental backups (only backs up any changes made since the last backup) and it does this daily
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    Options
    You have no complaint.
    Backing up is your responsibility. It's only 40GB of data - it's not 1992 anymore, 40GB doesn't take long to download.

Over a rather standard 80MB fibre connection (bearing in mind people working in IT and buying hosting etc will usually have a relatively fast connection) 40GB would take just under an hour and a half to download locally.
    Chuck it on a cheap pen drive, rinse and repeat every week.

You only have yourself to blame, I'm afraid.
    This post may sound harsh, but we're here to help people with the truth and facts - not to dress it up. :)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    40GB? When i first got Fibre i downloaded over 600GB in a single month.

I would often download 300GB on a 4MB connection prior to that.

How did you get the 40GB onto the server? Not having a backup of a website that you rely on is madness.

I have use part of mine to upload random pictures to this forum and even that is backed up.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure