PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

I am renting a flat to a couple on a 12 month tenancy agreement. When they applied they did not say anything about having a pet and in the tenancy agreement it states that tenants must get permission for any pets from the landlord first. I have been informed by a neighbour that one of the tenants has been seen going in and out of the flat with a dog, and the dog has also been seen in the garden. I asked the tenants about it and they claimed that it didn't belong to them but was a friend's who had been visiting or had left the dog there for a short time. I told them that I did not want a dog in the flat at all even if it was a friend's and that they should stop allowing the friend to bring the dog in, but it has been seen again since by my neighbour who watches and keeps me informed, when the woman tenant is around she often seems to have the dog with her.
I think that the dog is probably really theirs or has been staying with them and I don't want it there. How can I go about ending their tenancy for breach of contract? Will I have to obtain proof that the dog is there? Does it matter legally whether it belongs to them or not?
They also pre-paid all 12 months of their rent before moving in and have eight months remaining on the tenancy, will this make it harder for me to get them out?

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I wouldn't have though so, but you can claim back for any damage caused by the dog after they leave.

Give them a chance though, its really hard to find places to rent if you have pets and if they are otherwise good tenants and the dog is well trained and well behaved, maybe its not the end of the world?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I am renting a flat to a couple on a 12 month tenancy agreement. When they applied they did not say anything about having a pet and in the tenancy agreement it states that tenants must get permission for any pets from the landlord first. - You really need to quote the EXACT phrase. I have been informed by a neighbour that one of the tenants has been seen going in and out of the flat with a dog, and the dog has also been seen in the garden. I asked the tenants about it and they claimed that it didn't belong to them but was a friend's who had been visiting or had left the dog there for a short time. I told them that I did not want a dog in the flat at all even if it was a friend's and that they should stop allowing the friend to bring the dog in, but it has been seen again since by my neighbour who watches and keeps me informed, when the woman tenant is around she often seems to have the dog with her. - Stop spying on your tenants
    I think that the dog is probably really theirs or has been staying with them and I don't want it there. How can I go about ending their tenancy for breach of contract? - how long left on the 12 month tenancy? you cant really, you'd have to convince a court and frankly they aren't going to evict over this. Will I have to obtain proof that the dog is there? Does it matter legally whether it belongs to them or not? - no
    They also pre-paid all 12 months of their rent before moving in and have eight months remaining on the tenancy, will this make it harder for me to get them out?

Yes, you wont get them out before the 8 months are up. Don't waste money on it.

Also sell up once you do legally evict them, in about 12-14 months, via the courts.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Are they otherwise good tenants? Pay their rent on time?

Why would you want to throw that away on the sayso of a neighbour?
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    my neighbour who watches and keeps me informed
    That's creepy.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Are they otherwise good tenants? Pay their rent on time?

Why would you want to throw that away on the sayso of a neighbour?

Because the OP doesn't understand that being a LL is a business I think
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Arrange for an inspection and if the dog is affecting the property then have a word. If everything seems clean then I would leave them. Is it wooden floors?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That's creepy.
    Actually it sounds delightfully quaint. I would have installed concealed cameras in the flat.
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    Yes, you wont get them out before the 8 months are up. Don't waste money on it.

Also sell up once you do legally evict them, in about 12-14 months, via the courts.

I'm sorry, I don't understand - why would I need to evict them after their tenancy agreement is up, can't I just not renew the tenancy? And I don't want to sell the flat....
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I'm sorry, I don't understand - why would I need to evict them after their tenancy agreement is up, can't I just not renew the tenancy? And I don't want to sell the flat....

Oh dear...
  • glasgowdan wrote: »
    Arrange for an inspection and if the dog is affecting the property then have a word. If everything seems clean then I would leave them. Is it wooden floors?

No it's mostly carpet. I am allergic to dogs so I always said I would never have dogs in my flat in case I need to live there again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure