PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy to Let Newbies - Tax advice needed please

Options
Hi all,

My wife and I have just invested in a buy to let property - a 2 bedroom flat.

We have done this as would like to give our daughter a helping hand on the step on the housing ladder when she is older.

We've already got tenants in place who pay £585 rent. The mortgage is £402 a month but after insurance, letting agents fees, maintenance and ground rent etc. we make an approx £10 loss each month which we are more than happy with as is a long term investment for on our daughter.

If anyone out there could let us know how much tax we need to keep back each month from rent payments, it would be much appreciated as we are unsure if we have to pay tax on a loss?

Thanking you all in advance!
Mortgage When Started Over Pay 01/11/2017- £146,500
Current Total - 10/02/2022 - £6,500 (With Offset
£10k Savings)
5 year fix
MFW hopefully by March 2022
01/11/17 - £10k / £10k Emergency Savings :beer:

Comments

• MonkeyDr
    MonkeyDr Posts: 143 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2017 at 8:17PM
    Options
    Ok...

So, your income from the flat is £585 x 12 = £7020.

Subtract your non-finance related costs (insurance, ground rent etc); it sounds like these might add up to say 2400 / year. So income is £5600 ish.

You pay tax on this at your marginal rate, which obviously depends on how much you earn elsewhere. If you and your wife own the property 50/50 you are each liable to pay tax on 50%, so on £2800 each. If you are 40% tax payers that would be tax bill of £1120 each.

You then get a rebate based on the interest only bit of the mortgage (not repayment part, if that it what you have). This is currently being tapered down, so that in a few years the max rebate you would get will be 20%. Bit complicated at the moment.

What it boils down to is tax liability depends on your other income, interest v repayment mortgage, flat ownership etc. It seems likely that your 'losses' each month will be somewhat greater than you had initially planned, and that is not accounting for voids, repairs etc. I hope your daughter appreciates it.

But, if you are 20% tax payers, and the rental income doesn't push you into the next bracket, and it is a purely interest only mortgage, then you really are running a loss each month and probably don't have to pay any extra tax. Slightly risky investment though.
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the mortgage a repayment mortgage or interest only? Only the interest can be used as an expense, so any repayment part will not count. This is also being gradually reduced, check out some online guides for help:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/landlord-insurance/buy-to-let-tax-relief/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/buy-to-let/new-buy-to-let-tax-works-andhow-beat/

https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/paying-tax

This should help you work out how much of a profit you are making. The amount of tax you will then pay depends on what other income you and your wife have.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This post has lots of useful links including to HMRC:

* New landlords: advice, information & links
    and

* Letting agents: how should a landlord select or sack?
  • Merchandiser2367
    Options
    MonkeyDr wrote: »
    Ok...

So, your income from the flat is £585 x 12 = £7020.

Subtract your non-finance related costs (insurance, ground rent etc); it sounds like these might add up to say 2400 / year. So income is £5600 ish.

You pay tax on this at your marginal rate, which obviously depends on how much you earn elsewhere. If you and your wife own the property 50/50 you are each liable to pay tax on 50%, so on £2800 each. If you are 40% tax payers that would be tax bill of £1120 each.

You then get a rebate based on the interest only bit of the mortgage (not repayment part, if that it what you have). This is currently being tapered down, so that in a few years the max rebate you would get will be 20%. Bit complicated at the moment.

What it boils down to is tax liability depends on your other income, interest v repayment mortgage, flat ownership etc. It seems likely that your 'losses' each month will be somewhat greater than you had initially planned, and that is not accounting for voids, repairs etc. I hope your daughter appreciates it.

But, if you are 20% tax payers, and the rental income doesn't push you into the next bracket, and it is a purely interest only mortgage, then you really are running a loss each month and probably don't have to pay any extra tax. Slightly risky investment though.

Thank you for you detailed response! Much appreciated!!

The mortgage is a repayment mortgage as we wanted to own it at the end of the term. My wife is a 40% tax payer and I am 20% So from what you're saying, we are looking at around £140 a month?

Not sure I have my sums correct there at all so advice would also be appreciated?

I know you say this is a risky investment but with the mortgage being paid off by the tenant, surely we are still going to be better off even with this tax amount? Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again
    £10k Savings)
    5 year fix
  • bob_bank_spanker
    Options

The mortgage is a repayment mortgage as we wanted to own it at the end of the term. My wife is a 40% tax payer and I am 20% So from what you're saying, we are looking at around £140 a month?

Not sure I have my sums correct there at all so advice would also be appreciated?

I know you say this is a risky investment but with the mortgage being paid off by the tenant, surely we are still going to be better off even with this tax amount? Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again

Why surely? You are making a cash loss, that you are then paying tax on. What you have done is gambled that the value of your investment (house prices) will go up.

Not too different to me putting 50k into Unilever stocks, I will receive dividends over the next ten years, but whether I actually make money is down to other people (ie the market).

It may pay off, it may not, but there is nothing sure about it :)
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Thanks again

Repairs, periods with no tenant when you have to pay the mortgage and council tax, interest rate rises on BTL mortgages, nightmare tenant that won`t pay rent and won`t leave etc. This is just a leveraged gamble that might have worked years ago, but probably won`t work so well now?
  • Merchandiser2367
    Options
    Why surely? You are making a cash loss, that you are then paying tax on. What you have done is gambled that the value of your investment (house prices) will go up.

Not too different to me putting 50k into Unilever stocks, I will receive dividends over the next ten years, but whether I actually make money is down to other people (ie the market).

It may pay off, it may not, but there is nothing sure about it :)

My thought was even if the house price stayed the same and to make it easy for sums, we had a tenant in for the full term - the £93,000 mortgage would be paid off by the tenant, the loss we would make would only be in the first few years until we get the mortgage interest down Etc then it would be a smaller mortgage each month so more profit - at the end we would have £93,000 in our pocket paid be the tenant minus any losses we made along the Way? And I can't see the losses being anywhere near this?
    £10k Savings)
    5 year fix
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income