PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seller's responsibilities

Options

Comments

• aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    I think you are underthinking.

My solicitor is concerned that it's serious I suspect he is more qualified than you.

My query was shouldn't the seller have declared this at the beginning.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    aneary wrote: »

My solicitor is concerned that it's serious I suspect he is more qualified than you. - Depends in what field? Solicitors, by their nature are protecting themselves from you and from the lender. A Right of way or right of access aren't that big a deal that it would prevent ANY future sale.

The answer is no, they shouldn't. Because it's just a dispute.

What if I said you owed me £1mil? Would you declare that you your lender?.....
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My solicitor is concerned that it's serious I suspect he is more qualified than you.

Ask your solicitor, he is probably more qualified than most of us on here to answer your question.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 June 2017 at 2:30PM
    Options

Your solicitor is also telling you to find somewhere else, so I would heed that advice, and put your time, money and energy into finding a different property rather than trying to retrospectively "prove" that the vendor lied, deceived you, omitted to tell the truth etc.

In other words, get over it and move on.
  • aneary
    Options
    We'll we have proved that he lied.

I just think he should have told the truth from the beginning.

The EA didn't know and they are really unhappy as they have lost money from the sale and in the meantime aren't getting the fees they were when it was let out, basically everyone has lost out.

I really do think there should be a better situation with buying in this country, through no fault of my own I've lost time (this does matter my tenancy ends in 6 weeks) and depending on solicitors fees nearly £1k which will mean my deposit will have to be reduced by £1k as I only budgeted for one lot of valuation fees, home buyers reports and £2k of solicitors fees.
  • Guest101
    Options
    We'll we have proved that he lied.

I just think he should have told the truth from the beginning.

The EA didn't know and they are really unhappy as they have lost money from the sale and in the meantime aren't getting the fees they were when it was let out, basically everyone has lost out.

I really do think there should be a better situation with buying in this country, through no fault of my own I've lost time (this does matter my tenancy ends in 6 weeks) - have you given notice? if not, then it doesn't end and depending on solicitors fees nearly £1k which will mean my deposit will have to be reduced by £1k as I only budgeted for one lot of valuation fees, home buyers reports and £2k of solicitors fees.

The issue here isn't the buying process. It's the understanding of what a dispute is.
  • aneary
    Options
    So update

The facts are that next to the house (which is divided into four flats) is a garage which has a bit of land in front of it. In front of the land is a parking space, you cannot access the garage without crossing the parking space. According the the land registry there isn't a right of way but the garage owner believes there is or at least should be.

Since January 2016 there has been letters between the garage owner and my seller's solicitors arguing the right of way. The garage owner has threatened to tow or clamp any cars in the parking space and wants to go to court to get a judge to decide the right of way.

Now whether he can legally clamp or tow my car away doesn't mean he will not just do it, causing me massive inconvience. In addition I will walk into a massive legal debate which could cost me a lot of money in legal fees even if I was to get it back, as the garage owner has already asked for my contact details to inform me that I won't be able to park my car when I move in.

I think it's terrible that the owner has not only not mentioned this but only did after a lot of pushing, clearly until the above is resolved he isn't in a position to sell.
  • Guest101
    Options
    So update

The facts are that next to the house (which is divided into four flats) is a garage which has a bit of land in front of it. In front of the land is a parking space, you cannot access the garage without crossing the parking space. According the the land registry there isn't a right of way but the garage owner believes there is or at least should be. - Some people believe in magic and ghosts and fairies etc. too

Since January 2016 there has been letters between the garage owner and my seller's solicitors arguing the right of way. The garage owner has threatened to tow or clamp any cars in the parking space and wants to go to court to get a judge to decide the right of way.

Now whether he can legally clamp or tow my car away doesn't mean he will not just do it, causing me massive inconvience. - and getting himself arrested... In addition I will walk into a massive legal debate which could cost me a lot of money in legal fees even if I was to get it back, as the garage owner has already asked for my contact details to inform me that I won't be able to park my car when I move in. - and? tell him to foxtrot oscar

I think it's terrible that the owner has not only not mentioned this but only did after a lot of pushing, clearly until the above is resolved he isn't in a position to sell.

So walk away.

Personally id be knocking money off for what seems to be a bargain
  • aneary
    edited 21 June 2017 at 4:48PM
    Options
    I have walked away.

I need a parking space and I don't need the hassle as it's likely that he will be around and confront me, now he could be a little man but he might not be.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have walked away.

I tend to agree with your sentiment.

Whoever is right or wrong, it doesn't make sense to 'buy yourself into' a neighbour dispute that's so bad that solicitors are involved.

Unless perhaps, if the property is a bargain and you can negotiate a solution before exchanging contracts.

e.g. You agree to "sell" your parking space to the neighbour, in exchange for one of his garages - if that's acceptable to you. With all the transfers, right of ways etc handled by your solicitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure