Defaulted bank account - no idea why

Options
LolliUK
LolliUK Posts: 10 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 16 June 2017 at 9:21PM in Credit file & ratings
A quick query if anyone can help.

I've had a credit check carried out by the local police for voluntary work with them, and they said I had a defaulted bank account - this was news to me! It's taken me some time to access details of my credit report as for some reason Experian wasn't giving me access, I went via Clear Score instead and initially I couldn't see any issues flagged up at all so reported that back to the police vetting services - oops, turns out there was something after all.

Turns out it's a bank account I had with Lloyds, last activity on the account was in 2011 - this was closed due to issues with overdraft charges, as I know there was no debt outstanding and that was that. I do not just walk away from debt, in my experience a person can't just walk away from a debt without a debt collector knocking down your door, I've had no contact from them to say I owe them money and yet it's showing me as owing around £230.

I can't pay that as I'm long-term unemployed due to disability so claiming ESA, at most all I could do right now is offer a £1 monthly token payment, I have no details on that bank and I'm not sure how I proceed from here. I don't know how I owe them money or how it's just sitting there without anyone having chased me up on it. I'm confused!

Comments

• sheff6107
    sheff6107 Posts: 451 Forumite
    Options
    If it's 2011 it should drop off this year.
  • LolliUK
    Options
    That may be the case, but that doesn't help me now with regards to the voluntary work.

Can anyone help?
  • Lith
    Lith Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LolliUK wrote: »
    That may be the case, but that doesn't help me now with regards to the voluntary work.

Can anyone help?

Pay the debt? or wait it out.... as you said (its voluntary work)
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Paying the debt will not remove the default anyway, it will be marked as satisfied, but will still show until the 6 years are up.

I`m afraid if the police require you to have a clean credit file, you will have to wait until later this year when the default will drop off, that will also give you the added advantage of the debt becoming statute barred.

Sometimes its deemed to costly to recover a debt, or the bank makes a commercial decision to just not chase it, this could be because they dont have a current address for you, or its unrecoverable due to your circumstances.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • LolliUK
    Options
    Thank you, that makes it a little clearer. I guess I'll wait to see what they say in reply to the email I sent, obviously I said I didn't see a defaulted account but that can be cleared up when they reply and let me know what the situation is with this defaulted bank account.

There are two voluntary jobs on the line so really not great if it's a deal breaker (it may just be a voluntary job but as I've been unemployed for over nine years, and my last three employers no longer exist, I need voluntary work if I want to stand any chance of ever working again).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure