Return rights?

Hi everyone.
Wondering if anyone can help me, not sure if I have a right to return this or not. I had a swimming costume that started fading quite soon after purchase, the company asked me to send it back so they could look at it and they refunded me in full. I later bought the same swimming costume again (thinking it was just a dodgy batch) but after a year this one has started fading too. I emailed the company, who said I would have to go back to the place I bought it for a refund and they would then send it back to them. The trouble is, I cannot remember where I bought it, and I highly doubt I would still have the receipt anyway after all this time. But I do think that a swimsuit (especially one that is made and marketed for regular swimmers, not just for sitting by the pool) should be expected to last longer than this. And last week I noticed that a third swimsuit I own from the same company has also begun to fade. Do I have any rights to go back to the company and insist they do something???
Many thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You have no rights for the manufacturer to do anything, your consumer rights would be against whoever you bought it off.

However depending on how often you go swimming it may well just be the chlorine in the water causing a bleaching effect over time, that's not really a fault with the bathers but just something regular swimmers have to live/deal with.

I don't go swimming very often anymore but when I used to go 1-3 times a week I found the more fashion type costumes didn't last anywhere near as long as sporty types at that frequency of swimming I don't think I ever had even a sporty one last a year, a fashion one would be a couple of months at most.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Loveacuppa wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    Wondering if anyone can help me, not sure if I have a right to return this or not. I had a swimming costume that started fading quite soon after purchase, the company asked me to send it back so they could look at it and they refunded me in full. I later bought the same swimming costume again (thinking it was just a dodgy batch) but after a year this one has started fading too. I emailed the company, who said I would have to go back to the place I bought it for a refund and they would then send it back to them. The trouble is, I cannot remember where I bought it, and I highly doubt I would still have the receipt anyway after all this time. But I do think that a swimsuit (especially one that is made and marketed for regular swimmers, not just for sitting by the pool) should be expected to last longer than this. And last week I noticed that a third swimsuit I own from the same company has also begun to fade. Do I have any rights to go back to the company and insist they do something???
    Many thanks in advance for your help!
    Your statutory rights are with whoever sold the goods to you.

The manufacturer owes you nothing beyond any warranty they offer - if any.

Without a receipt or other proof of purchase, you are unlikely to get a remedy from the seller - even if you could remember who it was.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 June 2017 at 2:36PM
    I do think that a swimsuit (especially one that is made and marketed for regular swimmers, not just for sitting by the pool) should be expected to last longer than this..
    If you are regularly swimming in chlorinated water, I am not aware of any swimming costume which will not fade after fully a year of use. Sounds like the original refund was a goodwill gesture rather than any admission of fault. I wouldn't expect such a gesture to be repeated.
    Do I have any rights to go back to the company and insist they do something???
    You didn't buy from this company. Any complaint you might make should go to the retailer who sold it to you. Since you cannot remember where you bought it and also have no proof of purchase, I'd say it's time for you to buy a new costume-but don't expect that one to be impervious to chlorine either.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Your contract is with whoever you purchased the swimsuit from. Unless that was direct from the manufacturer you have no contact with them. They may not even know how much you paid for it so them offering a refund is problematic.

If you can't remember where you purchased it from and don't have receipts for the goods the chances of a refund are extremely slim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure