PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tidying before completion

Comments

• elonii
    elonii Posts: 62 Forumite
    My house and garden would have passed a white glove test when I moved out. It was left in a beautiful state when I moved into it, so I guess I wanted to do the same for the purchasers. Even though I didn't like them that much, lol.

Naturally when I got home to the UK and started renting I moved into a house that hadn't seen cleaning fluid, or lawnmower in months. Karma for what I do not know ;)
  • ST1991
    ST1991 Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would have loved our previous owner to do the same...
    I would not go out of your way or make a special effort to keep it 'show-house' like, but i'm sure the new owners will be pretty happy when they remember how it was moving in if they ever move on somewhere else that hasn't been kept so well.

When we moved in it had been empty for a while (after their tenants moved out and completion took its time).
    There were fleas, dust and paint drips everywhere from a last-ditch attempt to re-paint the dis-colored ceilings/cover the mould in the bathroom...
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    No matter how clean you keep it when you move if you have removal men you may find they leave boot prints and hand prints all over the place so I would factor cleaning in before I moved anywhere it's much easier when there isn't stuff in the house.
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    I'm afraid that we did not leave our house in the kind of condition I would have liked. We had just 8 days between exchange and completion (and had been ready to pull out of the process the day before) and I couldn't find a company to deep clean on the day of completion.

Fortunately, our buyers wanted to replaster in many places, so a bit of extra dust didn't really make much difference.

We bought our current property from 2 brothers and thought we would find it in a bit of a state - only to discover that their mother had spent several hours cleaning it after work the previous evening :o
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not only did I keep the garden up to scratch when I sold my last house I also cleaned the inside top to bottom when the place was empty.

The house I bought was a mess inside and out when we viewed and unsurprisingly was a mess when we moved in, however I think that contributed greatly to the price and I doubt we would be able to afford it if it was well maintained. In fact by the time I finish the bulk of the works in 6months time I doubt I would have been able to afford it had it been in that state when it went up for sale.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • SquirrelRM
    SquirrelRM Posts: 41 Forumite
    I left our previous home spotlessly clean and moved into a pigsty with mouldy biscuits in the cupboard! I will leave this house clean and tidy as I know how it feels to be on the other side!
    On a side note, what is the general consensus about making good holes in walls where things have been removed, i.e. holes from a TV bracket?
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I just left the tv bracket on the wall
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    SquirrelRM wrote: »
    On a side note, what is the general consensus about making good holes in walls where things have been removed, i.e. holes from a TV bracket?

Fill and paint, don't leave holes.
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    We kept the garden neat and cleaned the house till it was immaculate, in fact, once I'd finished, I didn't want to move! If only our vendor had been as meticulous. I exhausted myself cleaning mine then had to start over when we moved in, it was filthy.

Same here.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    It all depends on what the buyer thinks they've bought. I viewed a pigsty so I wasn't surprised when I opened the door after completion and found just that. I didn't believe for a second that my seller was going to break the habit of a lifetime to do a bit of cleaning. That was ok because I'd hoped the grime and smell of cat wee would put other buyers off!:)

If you viewed and offered on a beautifully well maintained house and garden then you're probably right to expect to move into something not a million miles from that. If a house had a perfect finish then you probably wouldn't welcome unexpected holes in the wall.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure