Nearly got caught.

Just sold my wife's cuttlebug on ebay. Buyer was from Belgium and coms went well until I noticed that the adress they wanted it shipped to was different to the registered address on ebay and Paypal.

The seller also had a '0' fb rating.

Phew!!!, lucky near miss there.
Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    How did you notice? How did they give you a different address? It may help if you explain further for others who may fall foul.

P.S your signature is SO large, I can hardly see your post.
  • Middlestitch
    Middlestitch Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Ebay rules stipulate that you must ship to the address given during checkout. Perfectly OK for a buyer to have a different address and if you use a tracked method of posting/delivery, you are fully protected.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,153 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 June 2017 at 8:12AM
    Ebay rules stipulate that you must ship to the address given during checkout. Perfectly OK for a buyer to have a different address and if you use a tracked method of posting/delivery, you are fully protected.

Please have a read of the sticky thread about postage. For full seller protection you must only send to the PayPal address . THe OP suggests the buyer asked for a different address when they paid - which would have left them with no seller protection at all.

Even if buyer puts the address in as a message with payment it does not alter the requirements to only ship to the address given on the PayPal transaction. It is not unusual for a buyer to pay and then in the body of the messages on PayPal add a message to say they want it shipped to their work address, or their mother (whatever) that new address does not over ride the one given as 'OK to send to' by PayPal, to change the address the buyer needs to change it on PayPal before they pay, it cannot be done afterwards.

I have several addresses registered on PayPal and if I want something sent to a different address I just change the shipping details on the final page before I pay.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Middlestitch
    Middlestitch Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    soolin wrote: »
    Please have a read of the sticky thread about postage. For full seller protection you must only send to the PayPal address . THe OP suggests the buyer asked for a different address when they paid - which would have left them with no seller protection at all.

Thanks for your helpful clarification. I think we are saying the same thing, but you phrased it rather better! I too meant that it had to be the 'deliver to' address entered during the checkout process with Paypal.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Cuttlebug.

I have learned a new word today. :beer:
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Cuttlebug.

I have learned a new word today. :beer:

I thought it was a typo and they meant Scuttlebug, although I did think it odd his wife would have a ride on kids toy!

71rwPoMBnmL._SX355_.jpg
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    One of those would be of no use to my wife. She would fall off it.

Anyway, the buyer had zero feedback and their details did not match that of the account holder.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    patman99 wrote: »
    Anyway, the buyer had zero feedback and their details did not match that of the account holder.

Buyers start with 0, we all do.

How do you know the details "did not match that of the account holder". You didn't answer my post above at 2. It may help you decide if you were going to be scammed or if you misread the situation, at the moment it's hard to work out as we don't have the info.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure