PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

My landlord is charging me £160 for a deep clean of the old property what to do?

Options
brinkytwiddleee
brinkytwiddleee Posts: 21 Forumite
edited 14 June 2017 at 5:33PM in House buying, renting & selling
My landlord is charging me £160 for a deep clean of the old property taken off my deposit after living there for 7 years. should I contest it?

I was a model tenant all that time and scrubbed the whole place down thoroughly before moving out.

Yes there was wear and grime on the walls to a degree but I'd been living there 7 years! why should I have to foot the bill for that. At least not all of it.

Also he wasnt the model landlord. The wooden flooring had warped and come up in the kitchen due to a leak and he didnt fix that for 6 months or more because he gave the excuse he was waiting for the insurance claim to come in to fix it. Then magically when I am moving out it suddenly got fixed. So it seems unfair I think to make me pay for the deep clean when he did that.

Thoughts? Is it like agency fees where you just have to eat it or do you have more rights in this case in terms of contesting it and actually having an effect? From my cursory reading I am thinking the latter.

Also to note, In 2014 I got a letter from the deposit scheme saying that my deposit is unprotected. I ignored it at the time and meant to check what it meant but never got round to it.

Does that change matters?

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cleaning and Tear and Wear are two different things. You should have to pay a penny for anything deemed T&W, however, grime is accumulated dirt, so if that's what they had to remove, hiring a cleaner, they might have a case for the cost of professional cleaning.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    As for a receipt.

Did you take pictures when you moved in and then when you moved out compare.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I was a model tenant all that time and scrubbed the whole place down thoroughly before moving out.

Yes there was wear and grime on the walls to a degree but I'd been living there 7 years! why should I have to foot the bill for that. At least not all of it.

Somewhat of a contradiction?
    Also to note, In 2014 I got a letter from the deposit scheme saying that my deposit is unprotected. I ignored it at the time and meant to check what it meant but never got round to it.

Does that change matters?

Yes and no. I believe you can sue for 3x. Nothing to do with the cleaning though,
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Assuming this is England or Wales, read G_M's Deposits: payment, protection & return.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 June 2017 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Comments in red:
    My landlord is charging me £160 for a deep clean of the old property taken off my deposit after living there for 7 years. should I contest it?
    Not on the basis of that paragraph. The 7 years is irrelevant. During your occupancy you should have been cleaning.

To the same level of cleanliness as it was when you moved in? There is no allowance for 'wear and tear', or time, so far as cleaning is concerned.

'Wear'? You are not responsible for this and if it is reflective of 7 years (as opposed to damage), then a deduction is not justified.

'grime'?
    You are responsible for this and so a deduction is justified.

Which was it? Or both?

Also he wasnt the model landlord. The wooden flooring had warped and come up in the kitchen due to a leak and he didnt fix that for 6 months or more because he gave the excuse he was waiting for the insurance claim to come in to fix it.
    Seperate issue and irrelevant. You should have enforced repairs correctly at the time.

Then magically when I am moving out it suddenly got fixed. So it seems unfair I think to make me pay for the deep clean when he did that.
    No connection at all.

Also to note, In 2014 I got a letter from the deposit scheme saying that my deposit is unprotected.
    It does not change the rights/wrongs of the deductions. It is a separate matter, but you may be able to use it as a bargaining tool.

Read:

* Deposits: payment, protection and return

• SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Our tenancy agreement states that the place was professionally cleaned before we moved in and so we would get it professionally cleaned before we moved out. Anything like that in yours?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SuboJvR wrote: »
    Our tenancy agreement states that the place was professionally cleaned before we moved in and so we would get it professionally cleaned before we moved out. Anything like that in yours?
    Even if there is a clause like this, it is not considered enforceable. The place needs to be cleaned to the same standard at the end as it was at the beginning. Whether someone is paid to do it or you clean it yourself is irrelevant.
  • ellectrastar
    Options
    Nothing unusual to be charged if the property isn't clean. One of my tenants left recently and was charged for cleaning the oven as it was in a mess. Why should the landlord foot the bill when you're the one living there? You have the opportunity to a) keep the property clean whilst you're in it, and b) give it a damn good clean before you leave. Even if you're not the owner a rented property is still your home, and you should treat it as such.
  • Reue
    Reue Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    SuboJvR wrote: »

How does one become a professional cleaner? What is the qualification or registration required?
  • charlesworth82
    Options
    Reue wrote: »
    How does one become a professional cleaner? What is the qualification or registration required?

I think profession comes with payment. Clean it yourself and pay yourself :)
    ‘It ain’t over 'til it's over’
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport