New business,reg. name etc

Options
Complete beginner. Can't find a "sticky".
I know the boat may have gone but I'm wanting to start a craft type business from home(very small scale) Ebay & facebook look the best option for a toe-dip.
Q: Do I need to have a business account or should I use my personal accounts to see how things go(very small output)
Q: Is there a monthly/yearly fee for starters.
Q: Should/can I register a business name on ebay/facebook, even if I don't use it for a couple of months( to prevent name being taken)
Q: Do I need a new email that will be the same name as the business.
Last Q:T Is there a dummiestype thread you can recommend.
Thanks guys!

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are asking about selling on ebay, then:
    1. Yes you need a business account from the offset.
    2. There are different fees for private and business sellers which are based on a per listing rate. If you want a shop, you pay a monthly fee with a fixed amount of listings.
    3. You should register everywhere as a business. We have linked FB, Twitter, Instagram etc etc.
    4. You don't need a new email but it's more professional if you have one which is not gmail/hotmail etc. You can buy a cheap domain, register it and host your own email for a few pounds. sales@irony.co.uk for example.
  • Irony
    Irony Posts: 768 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there a difference (ebay) between a shop & a business or are they the same?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Irony wrote: »
    Is there a difference (ebay) between a shop & a business or are they the same?

A shop is available for either a private or business seller with different fees applicable. However when you first start out on eBay you will be limited with the number of items you can list, so a shop is not worth it, stick to individual listings at first.

In fact if you are new to eBay it is probably worth feeling your way around first by buying a few bits and pieces, get a feel for what makes a good seller and what you need to avoid doing when you sell. Also check out completed listings to see what sells and what doesn't, home made craft stuff doesn't always fit the eBay model and you may find yourself disappointed at the sale results.

You could look at etsy which is more craft focussed, it doesn't sell things very quickly but many of us have shops on there and if you go to the referral board here on MSE you will find our referral links and you can sign up for a shop and get your first 20 listings free.

Research though is the key, look around, look at what Is selling, look at your costs and then decide where to aim your sales.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm wanting to start a craft type business from home(very small scale) Ebay

Very difficult now to get anywhere near the exposure you think you might on eBay for craft items.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Very difficult now to get anywhere near the exposure you think you might on eBay for craft items.
    It would depend on what it is. It is a crushed market but "craft" can cover quite a lot of ground and some areas have growth potential.

There's also a handmade section on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/b/ref=sd_allcat_HM_Home?ie=UTF8&node=9699254031

If you're using Facebook you can try and build up a following before you start selling. For example, if you're making knitted products post and share links to unique patterns or related news stories.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RFW wrote: »
    It would depend on what it is. It is a crushed market but "craft" can cover quite a lot of ground and some areas have growth potential.

There's also a handmade section on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/b/ref=sd_allcat_HM_Home?ie=UTF8&node=9699254031

If you're using Facebook you can try and build up a following before you start selling. For example, if you're making knitted products post and share links to unique patterns or related news stories.

I looked at the handmade section on Amazon, I couldn't actually find anything handmade in the categories I would use- it was all far east imported stuff. Such a shame as I do have stuff I could list but it would get swamped by mass produced nonsense.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What I meant was, you used to be able to use eBay to promote and launch a whole new "thing", something completely new and use that as a launch pad for your own web site later. But now, your own brand new idea just gets swamped up with everything and lost in the masses and some people get lost in the diabolical process of creating slight variations of duplicate listings out of frustration.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What I meant was, you used to be able to use eBay to promote and launch a whole new "thing", something completely new and use that as a launch pad for your own web site later. But now, your own brand new idea just gets swamped up with everything and lost in the masses and some people get lost in the diabolical process of creating slight variations of duplicate listings out of frustration.
    Good point, it's actually why I stopped using Ebay. Amazon works better at launching and promoting new stuff.
  • Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Any local craft fairs/table top sales (not car boot) in your area?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think a proper email address gives a buyer a feeling that they are dealing with a proper trader rather than a generic gmail or yahoo email account.

Puzzles me why a website will have a gmail or yahoo email. Makes me think they will just change email accounts and say they are not that company.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure