concerned about credit score

Options
I had an appointment with TSB today to open one of their plus accounts. I wanted to add their interest free credit card to this. I opened the account with no problems but when I tried to apply for the credit card it came up with a referral message.
The staff member rang the card company and was told I couldn't have a credit card because I am disabled and can't work due to it.

At this point the credit score company (experian) had passed everything and I already have one credit card with Natwest (although it's not interest free) with a credit limit of £2,800. This card is paid off IN FULL (sorry couldn't resist!) each month but I want to make a large purchase which was why I wanted an interest free card.

I'm now worried about my credit score. I've never been declined credit before due to being disabled - seems like a stupid excuse to me but will this now have left a black mark on my score and make it difficult to get credit in the future.

I'm now utterly terrified to attempt to apply for 0% card with another bank in case I'm told the same thing.

I really don't understand what I did wrong. Can anyone help

Please and thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Relax. There is no black mark on your file. And also no credit score. Just a search on your file.

Try a soft search next time to get an idea of who might accept you.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Relax. There is no black mark on your file. And also no credit score. Just a search on your file.

Try a soft search next time to get an idea of who might accept you.

Apparently TSB don't always do hard searches when existing customers apply for credit cards, so the card application may only have involved a soft search anyway. However, as the OP opened a new current account during the same appointment there will almost certainly be a hard search on their file in any event. One extra search by the same company at the same time hopefully wouldn't make much difference.

As you say, the key point is there is no 'black mark' :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nemesis9 wrote: »
    Ben8282

How dare you accuse me of lying! :mad:Who the hell do you think you are? You ignorant nasty little man :mad:

I told it exactly as it happened but I expand it further just so your tiny little mind can grasp it.
    When I set up the current account they asked my occupation, they'd seen me hobble in on my crutches, so wern't surprised when I said I wasn't able to work due to disability. They asked what disability benefits I was receipt of and I listed them.
    When it came to doing the credit card the woman on the end of the phone at TSB card referrals told the staff member none of my listed benefits were on their system (which I don't believe).
    AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION MY NATWEST CREDIT CARD IS NOT MY ONE AND ONLY - HOW DARE YOU PRESUME - JUST THIS WEEK I CANCELLED MY NATIONWIDE CREDIT CARD WHICH USED TO BE 0%. MY NATWEST CREDIT CARD IS A MASTERCARD. MY NATIONWIDE CARD WAS A VISA.

OH AND ONE MORE THING. I'M NOT UNEMPLOYED I'M UNEMPLOYABLE - THERE'S A DIFFERENCE.

I'm now going to report you Ben8282 to the site. There was absolutely no need what-so-ever to speak to me that way. It was rude and uncalled for when I merely asked a question and went about it in a nice and polite manner. The least anyone can do is reply in the same vein.

Thank you zx81 for your kind reply :A

I think you have truly put Ben in his place. Well done.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would say the decline was most likely because you are not working, and have no income from employment.

Affordability is a big issue at present, every lender has there own acceptance criteria, your income from benefits may be subject to stoppage at any time by the DWP, it happens a lot trust me.

You may be accepted by another lender whose willing to take the risk, or you may not.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Last time I phoned to cancel a credit card, I was immediately offered 0% purchases for 12 months.
    Might be worth trying this with one of your current credit cards?
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    You may be accepted by another lender whose willing to take the risk, or you may not.

I've been looking around recently and TSB were the only 'big name' offering 0% deals who were even likely to accept people on low or irregular incomes.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 19 May 2017 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Nemesis9 wrote: »
    Ben8282

How dare you accuse me of lying! :mad:Who the hell do you think you are? You ignorant nasty little man :mad:

I told it exactly as it happened but I expand it further just so your tiny little mind can grasp it.
    When I set up the current account they asked my occupation, they'd seen me hobble in on my crutches, so wern't surprised when I said I wasn't able to work due to disability. They asked what disability benefits I was receipt of and I listed them.
    When it came to doing the credit card the woman on the end of the phone at TSB card referrals told the staff member none of my listed benefits were on their system (which I don't believe).
    AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION MY NATWEST CREDIT CARD IS NOT MY ONE AND ONLY - HOW DARE YOU PRESUME - JUST THIS WEEK I CANCELLED MY NATIONWIDE CREDIT CARD WHICH USED TO BE 0%. MY NATWEST CREDIT CARD IS A MASTERCARD. MY NATIONWIDE CARD WAS A VISA.

OH AND ONE MORE THING. I'M NOT UNEMPLOYED I'M UNEMPLOYABLE - THERE'S A DIFFERENCE.

I'm now going to report you Ben8282 to the site. There was absolutely no need what-so-ever to speak to me that way. It was rude and uncalled for when I merely asked a question and went about it in a nice and polite manner. The least anyone can do is reply in the same vein.

Thank you zx81 for your kind reply :A

Temper. Temper.
    Obviously you don't like the truth. You may object to the use of the word 'unemployed' but it would appear to be factually correct in that you don't work and live on unspecified benefits.
    If you prefer I will re-phrase. You applied for a credit card without having any income from employment and having income only from unspecified benefits.
    This, together with the fact that you already have the credit card from NatWest that you mentioned in your OP and now state that you have other credit card(s) as well, balances not stated, is the most probable reason for the decline. It is a shame that you chose to cancel your Nationwide credit card prior to obtaining a replacement as if you had not done this you would still have it to use.
    This situation may have come about as a result of your being disabled but the refusal was not due to your being disabled. There is a big and important difference.
    I consider the statement allegedly made by TSB staff that the refusal was due to your being disabled to be offensive to disabled people and have already suggested what to do about it if this is in fact the case.
    So instead of having a temper tantrum, call as many disabled rights organisations as you can and tell them that TSB have refused you a credit card because you are disabled. Go to the citizens advice bureau and report them for disability discrimination; you really would have my support.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure