PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ex forcing sale of shared property with deliberate IVA

Options
richy4
richy4 Posts: 146 Forumite
edited 23 December 2017 at 4:38PM in House buying, renting & selling
Asking on behalf of a friend:

My friend lives in a property which she is on the mortgage with her ex. They bought several years ago. He contributed only towards furniture and solicitors fees on initial purchase. While he lived in the property, he paid half the mortgage payments.

Will this affect her credit rating in the future?

Thanks for any replies or advice in advance!

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yet another in the long line of "should have had a clean break at the time", posts

She needs to see a solicitor amd get it sorted properly. Unless there are children involved on her part in the house , it may be she needs to give up some of the equity, depends what the rules are.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Unfortunately, because the property is in joint names she s almost certainly going to have to buy him out.

She may be able to negotiate to pay less than 50%, and if her ex is struggling financially then a lump sum offer may be attractive to him - money now, rather than money later after the property sells.

It's in her interests to buy him out and remortgage to clear the joint mortgage, as because they have a joint mortgage they will, I believe, be linked / connected people for credit checks .

She could see a solicitor (look for one who deals with ToLATA claims) to see what her chances of getting a split with more than 50% of the whole, but i they own a joint tenants and didn't put anything in place to protect her deposit at the outset it is not automatically protected.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    richy4 wrote: »
    Asking on behalf of a friend:

My friend lives in a property which she is on the mortgage with her ex. They bought several years ago. He contributed only towards furniture and solicitors fees on initial purchase. While he lived in the property, he paid half the mortgage payments.

He moved out 3 years ago. She carried on living in the property and paying for everything, she also put in the deposit money on initial purchase. The mortgage has continued in joint names until now.

Her ex is now saying he is about to apply for an IVA because he is struggling with his bills as he has just got married and has had a baby. Also struggling to keep up on rent payments.

My friend is worried that this is a deliberate attempt for her ex to simply rack up a load of debt to deliberately require an IVA which in the process will mean their joint asset, the property, will be used to settle some of the money owed.

Can anyone outline what process the above situation follows?

Can my friend get her ex off the mortgage before he applies for his IVA and then its all down to him to deal with himself?

If the IVA is approved, what impact will this have on my friend as she wants to stay in the flat and she has been paying on time every month! She does not want to sell or give her ex 50% as he never contributed this in the first place!

Will this affect her credit rating in the future?

Thanks for any replies or advice in advance!

Only furniture and half the mortgage is something. Why should she be entitled to keep this? Only she will know how the joint ownership of the property was set up and what proportions the property was owned in.
  • richy4
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Would one option be to sell the property before her ex manages to apply for any of this IVA?

And then she can arrange a split amount between the two of them only, without any third party.
  • richy4
    Options
    Only furniture and half the mortgage is something. Why should she be entitled to keep this? Only she will know how the joint ownership of the property was set up and what proportions the property was owned in.

The property was bought by her and her ex jointly. Joint mortgage, joint owners. This remains the same today. Difference is she lives there and still pays for it all, he left ages ago and pays nothing and never really did but now it seems has lost patience waiting for her to sell it and is going down this route of IVA to get her back.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Would one option be to sell the property before her ex manages to apply for any of this IVA?

And then she can arrange a split amount between the two of them only, without any third party.

He would have to agree to the sale and sign the paperwork.

Depending on how much his debts are, if she offered to buy him out for that much to give him a clean slate might he go for that to avoid the credit issues that come with an IVA?
  • richy4
    Options
    I think it is a deliberate ploy for her ex to retrieve some of the equity of the property and a rather vindictive ploy at that!

My friend would rather sell the property and negotiate privately a split of the proceeds with her ex. Then at least there is no continuous third parties involved.

Not sure if he would agree to this, the major issue from her side is she wants to stay and I think he knows this and is playing on it. One way or the other, he will get cash from the property so he doesn't care!

If he applies for an IVA, will this affect her credit record? The mortgage is joint, but his outstanding debts are his own. I understand from some quick research via Google that her credit should be untouched as it is he who has issues.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it is a deliberate ploy for her ex to retrieve some of the equity of the property and a rather vindictive ploy at that!

If the ex contributed to the mortgage then quite rightly some of the equity is his. Nothing vindictive. Only herself to blame for leaving the situation as it was. The matter should have been dealt with when the relationship ended.
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options

My friend would rather sell the property and negotiate privately a split of the proceeds with her ex. Then at least there is no continuous third parties involved.

Not sure if he would agree to this, the major issue from her side is she wants to stay and I think he knows this and is playing on it. One way or the other, he will get cash from the property so he doesn't care!

If he applies for an IVA, will this affect her credit record? The mortgage is joint, but his outstanding debts are his own. I understand from some quick research via Google that her credit should be untouched as it is he who has issues.

They broke up 3 years ago and she still hasn't sold the house of paid his equity ? Yet he's the vindictive one. Did she plan to just keep THERE house ?
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options

They broke up 3 years ago and she still hasn't sold the house of paid his equity ? Yet he's the vindictive one. Did she plan to just keep THERE house ?.

I'd be pretty annoyed if my ex was chilling in my house which simultaneously stopped me moving on and buying my own property
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure