I get paid monthly he gets paid weekly

Options
2»

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Monthly standing Oder from you, weekly standing order from him.

Pay into joint account that you never use for anything other than bills.

Make sure you are funding it with 10% more than is required. Never let the balance drop below a minimum float amount of say £250.

And track every spend on all accounts. The desire to be frivolous often is an evil to good budgeting!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I must also point out that OH wages fluctuate weekly according to hours worked, overtime etc.
    I will take your advice on board and have a go.
    My main aim is to set up a spreadsheet to see where our money is going.

If you have fluctuating wages a good strategy is to work on the low ball weeks pay and put any excess to one side for extras.

Do an annual budget(plan) that balances based on a low end wages

that will build up some spare from the overtime etc and you can add a discretionary spend when that gets big enough like have a slightly better holiday or an extra meal out on a good week(but remembering this was a treat on OT money)

The spending diary will help a lot much easier to find the places you can cut back a bit when you know where all the money goes.

One problems you often get with the variable pay is the tendency for spends to creep to the higher weeks pay especially if you get a few in a row. then when you get "normal" weeks pay like a weeks holiday you feel short.
  • scrimpingannie
    Options
    One problems you often get with the variable pay is the tendency for spends to creep to the higher weeks pay especially if you get a few in a row. then when you get "normal" weeks pay like a weeks holiday you feel short.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what seems to happen.

Thanks for the advice
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    <quote>Monthly standing Oder from you, weekly standing order from him.

Pay into joint account that you never use for anything other than bills.

Make sure you are funding it with 10% more than is required. Never let the balance drop below a minimum float amount of say £250.

And track every spend on all accounts. The desire to be frivolous often is an evil to good budgeting! <quote/>

This is so good it needs to be said twice!

My DH is currently paid four weekly, while I'm paid on the last day of the month. At one point, he was paid fortnightly. We operate on a "yours, mine, ours" basis for banking. From the very dawn of time, we have had a separate joint account, out of which all the joint bills are paid by direct debit or standing order. Neither of us have cards for this account (we shred them when they arrive). For travel costs, etc, e.g. if something needs to be done on his car, he pays for it from his own account, and vice-versa. Housekeeping is cash, taken out by each of us from our own accounts once a month.

We fund the joint account proportionally based on basic wages (excluding overtime, bonuses, etc, anything that can't be relied upon). We do the same for our joint holidays account and joint date-night-fund. It's only fair that, since I'm paid more, I contribute more. The goal is to end up with both of us having the same money-to-live-off /mad money each month, not having someone with tons of cash and the other party always relying on them to buy everything or going into debt to keep up. We have individual savings accounts for personal items - if I want a new iPhone, it's my responsibility to save up for it - but that money comes out of our individual money-to-live-off, not the joint money.

For your own spending, write everything down and deduct it from your money-to-live-off as you go. That way, you will know how much money you have left to spend this month. It takes seconds to whip out a pad and pencil and it makes you stop and think before you spend. (Or, at least, that's my experience.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    One problems you often get with the variable pay is the tendency for spends to creep to the higher weeks pay especially if you get a few in a row. then when you get "normal" weeks pay like a weeks holiday you feel short.

This is exactly what seems to happen.

Thanks for the advice

The solution is simple(work to the standard wage)
    but
    sometime if the finances are not on the same page yet you can get the I did all that overtime and can't even get a beer for it.

if the income/work balance can be agreed then it is solvable wit he right amount of treats

The key is understanding the root cause of the problem that not every week month has the abundance of spare cash so spread it over the year.
  • GarthThomas
    GarthThomas Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I must also point out that OH wages fluctuate weekly according to hours worked, overtime etc.
    I will take your advice on board and have a go.
    My main aim is to set up a spreadsheet to see where our money is going.

You need to have a short-term budget based around the minimum that you get per week, and once the better weeks have built up a decent buffer (maybe three months Monday) then you can switch your budget to your average earnings, and monitor this by seeing that your buffer doesn't dwindle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure