PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Struggling to pay your rent? Shelter needs your help!

Options

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He should run the benefit calculators first - see
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    - then claim as advised there
    https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits
    or on the CaB website (Scottish version..)
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/benefits/
    then if he can't work out what to do try local CaB
    http://www.cas.org.uk/

- or Shelter Scotland 0808 800 4444
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all. I thought there must be something very wrong expecting him to live on £250 a month.
    I'll let you know how he gets on.

Hopefully one of the jobs he's applied for will come up trumps but if not at least I won't be £380 a month poorer next month. :)

(I'm new to all this, I've worked continually since I left school in 1978 and never claimed for anything so wasn't sure how it worked.)
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    When the first payment arrived, he called them and asked about how he was going to pay his rent and was told to ask his friends and family.

I didn't realise there was a housing element. They certainly didn't tell him about it.

I did know that his money was going up when he was 25 (thankfully next week).

Who would he speak to about the housing element?
    Contact the helpline, or possibly do it online, See https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim

There are some exceptions for instance if he's living with a close relative. More info here:

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Housing-overview-Universal-Credit
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Piffle:

About half the benefit spend goes to those like me, the old. I get 6 benefits - State Pension, Winter Fuel allowance, £10 Xmas bonus, free eye tests, free prescriptions, 'bus pass. I could reasonably comfortably survive without any of them. Most of us old people aren't (thanks...) "..ill or disabled..". Many in receipt of Child Benefit, the various tax credits couldn't be described as "..ill or disabled.." either.

The benefit cutbacks have been very largely to the poor, the vulnerable, the disabled, the already disadvantaged: (very predominantly non-Tory voters - funny that..)

This is wrong, unfair, un-British. Shame on Mother T.

Best regards to all including those who disagree with me.
    It's true that older people have been mainly insulated from the cuts, but apart for the cynical reason that they are more likely to vote, benefits for pensioners are low in the UK compared to other rich countries.

Benefits to working age people are higher overall in the UK than most other rich countries, and more targetted at the poor, ie more on a means tested basis than a contributory basis. We also have a far higher proportion of younger people on disability benefits than other countries, even though the health of our population isn't that much different.
  • cashbackproblems
    cashbackproblems Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    I know this is a money saving site but if you've just left university with a whacking great debt and you're earning minimum wage and having to pay rent and bills etc. how do you propose that you save enough to keep you if you're unemployed and what you're being paid doesn't even cover your rent?

If he came home he'd only be getting £65 a week job seekers allowance and even if I kept him for free (assuming I could afford to), how could he save enough to keep himself on £65 a week when the bus to the job centre is £3.80?

Really?

how much does extra does it cost to have someone living with you short term, if you cant afford that then you need money management lessons also.

Its tough but that is life, if your situation its not possible for him to save but most people waste money then complain. The UK is becoming like a third world country
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    - Single (could be renting in a house share, or in your own place) and not with children
    - Earning up to £22,000 a year (could be working part time, in unstable work or full time)
    - Not claiming benefits or only claiming in-work benefits (e.g. tax credits)
    Sorry but I'm struggling to see how a single person, earning £22K, with a reasonable lifestyle, and not expecting the life that you get to enjoy when you earn £40K would find themselves unable to pay their rent.

I have all the sympathy for hard working people on low income, but £22k for a single person is not horrendous, especially if you are young and can look forward to future progression.
    Hopefully one of the jobs he's applied for will come up trumps but if not at least I won't be £380 a month poorer next month.
    Exactly. You made it sound as if he was signing on to a life of misery on a very low benefit income for the rest of his life. He isn't. He is young and able, and therefore should only be a question of time before he gets a decent job and able to support himself. What incentive there would be for him if he could receive in benefits the same amount that he is likely to get with his first step on the ladder?

Benefits for young unemployed people is expected to be hard to live on so they quickly move out of it, whatever actions are required to make it happen.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    He's a grown man who can't support himself (apparently); his parents should not take him home (as you say, he's a grown man) but expectation is taxpayers should fund him?

oh dear. At what age do you kick children out? Day after they're not eligible for child benefits?
    Bizarre world!

Children are no longer children when they are 24, by a long stretch! Plenty are parents themselves! I'm 32 would you expect me to go 'home' if I became unemployed? Even though I haven't lived with my parents for a decade, the house they live in now has never ben my 'home' and they might not want a 3rd adult living with them now?

In fact, my mum still has both parents alive and well too, if she loses her job should she and my dad pack up and head over to their house to be kept?

Yes, the state should support people who cannot support themselves, whether temporarily or permanently. I'm more than happy to pay my taxes for this.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    but the country is almost bankrupt

It really isn't, don't believe the propaganda.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »

Exactly. You made it sound as if he was signing on to a life of misery on a very low benefit income for the rest of his life. He isn't. He is young and able, and therefore should only be a question of time before he gets a decent job and able to support himself.

Some people are on low wages all their life though, carers, cleaners, TAs, shop assistants all earn much less than 22k, even 22k is not a lot in the SE or London.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 May 2017 at 5:51PM
    Options

Yes, the state should support people who cannot support themselves, whether temporarily or permanently. I'm more than happy to pay my taxes for this.

This is fine just short term, ( except in the case of disability when the person genuinely cannot work), but at the moment the State allows whole families to choose benefits as a way of life. If this was stopped , there would be enough to help the others, who are unfortunate and not choosing benefits (which can be lucrative if you have lots of offspring).

There are some , who deliberately make themselves undesirable as an employee , so get benefits for life and any attempt to make them do community work gets cries of 'persecution !' (There is lots of LA work that they could do, without depriving someone of a job, because, no one is doing the jobs (eg cleaning streets, grass cutting), anyway, because they are unaffordable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure