Dividend Income paid Net

I don't pay income tax. Suddenly my broker has started to pay my dividends net of tax at 20%. All last year and the first dividend this year were paid gross. The second dividend was paid net.

They said I can reclaim at the end of the year but of course this gives the tax man a free load and denies me the chance to re-invest 20% of my dividends.

Do I have to accept this or can I still get dividends paid gross?

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    What investment generates these dividends? The reason I ask is that the only cause of a change to net payments I can think of is that they were treated as dividends in the past but are now classed as interest. Funds that invest in both bonds and equity may change the classification of the income (or have it changed for them). In that case it could be the fund which is charging tax, not the broker.

Although banks can pay interest gross, other people cant. They must continue to deduct basic rate tax.

Of course this may not explain your situation, but in the absence of further information it's a bit difficult.
  • RoyBrock7898
    RoyBrock7898 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you, the two shares so far this year are HSBC and GSK paid gross and British Land paid net. British Land is a new purchase this year.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Thank you, the two shares so far this year are HSBC and GSK paid gross and British Land paid net. British Land is a new purchase this year.

Ah, British Land shares - I will leave you to study this and then explain it to the rest of us!
  • RoyBrock7898
    RoyBrock7898 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you. I shall print that, wrap it round a club, and chastise the broker that didn't give me such a concise answer. And simply?

Dividend comprise about 90% rental income and 10% from other sources.

They tax property rental at source and pay the tax at 20% to HMRC. The company decided the proportions of rental income and non-rental income that will be paid for each dividend.

Simples, any way, club now delivered to the customer services executive.

Thanks again
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    EdGasketTheSecond Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you hold BLND in a SIPP or ISA you will get dividends paid gross. Outside, assuming that the entire dividend is a Property Income Distribution (PID), you will get taxed on it at 20%. Sometimes dividends are declared as ordinary dividend and sometimes part ordinary and part PID or just all PID; you pay 20% tax on the PID part.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 9 May 2017 at 7:56PM
    Without seeing what Linton's link has to say, I expect the nuance is that some of the money British Land are paying you is not a "dividend" (a distribution of the net profits of an operating business after the company has paid tax).

Many funds and investment companies pay dividends like that and they do not have to withhold tax from you when they do it, they simply pay you whatever amount per share they declared they're going to pay.

However, British Land is structured as a Real Estate Investment Trust under UK tax regulations. One of the features is that it doesn't have to pay tax on the net property income it earns from its investments (rental income and so on). That's very efficient for investors such as tax exempt pension funds or individuals holding shares in the REIT via an ISA or SIPP, because they can make a distribution of property income to those investors and they won't pay tax on it because they're not taxpayers.

However for individuals who aren't investing through an ISA or SIPP, the taxman makes them withhold basic rate tax at source when they pay over the property income to you. You pay tax on the income just like you would if you had owned the office block or warehouse or care home or shopping centre yourself and received income from tenants. So if your normal income tax rate is 40% or more you'll owe more tax than has been deducted at source and if you are normally a nil rate taxpayer you can claim it back from HMRC and if you're a 20% taxpayer it's already the right amount.

The thing to recognise is that these distributions are streams of untaxed property income coming out of the investments as PID (property income distributions). The REIT didn't pay any tax on those profits, they are your profits, so they are required to withhold tax from you if you're getting your hands on them and are not investing through an ISA or SIPP.

Whereas a corporate dividend like you get from HSBC or GSK is a payment of income which was left over after the company has already paid its corporation tax bill at whatever necessary rate, and the government helps you out by giving you a special annual allowance and then a reduced tax rate to receive that dividend income.

Not every distribution made by British Land or other REITs will always be PID. Sometimes it will be, but other times it will just be general corporate profits and sent to you as a dividend. So you have to check out the statements/ vouchers or read the reports or announcements to find out what dividends you got (gross) versus what PID you got (net of 20% withholding tax).

Your record-keeping headaches and tax returns are avoided by holding your REITs or PAIFs through an ISA or SIPP where no tax is due on dividends or PIDs.

*Edit: I see that this was already answered while I was writing the above on the Tube home! Good to see I guessed right :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you hold BLND in a SIPP or ISA you will get dividends paid gross. Outside, assuming that the entire dividend is a Property Income Distribution (PID), you will get taxed on it at 20%. Sometimes dividends are declared as ordinary dividend and sometimes part ordinary and part PID or just all PID; you pay 20% tax on the PID part.
    The dividends that I get from British Land in my TD Direct ISA are paid net and then after several weeks I receive a tax credit to my ISA.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    So what is the situation with "normal" Investment Trusts which invest in property such as SLI.

Do they suffer a penalty for not being a REIT?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The dividends that I get from British Land in my TD Direct ISA are paid net and then after several weeks I receive a tax credit to my ISA.

Similarly with my shares in Redefine and Target in my II ISA.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    greenglide wrote: »
    So what is the situation with "normal" Investment Trusts which invest in property such as SLI.

Do they suffer a penalty for not being a REIT?
    Is it not a REIT?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport