Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Eesha
    • By MSE Eesha 2nd May 17, 12:07 PM
    • 81Posts
    • 21Thanks
    MSE Eesha
    When will your student loan be written off?
    • 2nd May 17, 12:07 PM
    When will your student loan be written off? 2nd May 17 at 12:07 PM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Page 1
    • ccon
    • By ccon 4th May 17, 8:09 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ccon
    • 4th May 17, 8:09 AM
    • 4th May 17, 8:09 AM
    I am 47 and nearly completed an engineering foundation course at Liverpool John moores university and will be starting the degree properly this September.
    Does any body know if you stop paying the student loan when you reach retirement age as, assuming I do a sandwich year I'll be 52 when I graduate and if the thirty year rule applies will be paying it when I'm 82!
    Anyone got any idea?
    Thanks Chris.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 4th May 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,785 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 4th May 17, 12:28 PM
    • 4th May 17, 12:28 PM
    I am 47 and nearly completed an engineering foundation course at Liverpool John moores university and will be starting the degree properly this September.
    Does any body know if you stop paying the student loan when you reach retirement age as, assuming I do a sandwich year I'll be 52 when I graduate and if the thirty year rule applies will be paying it when I'm 82!
    Anyone got any idea?
    Thanks Chris.
    Originally posted by ccon
    It's still liable for repayment for 30 years but you only repay if you earn over the repayment threshold (pension income doesn't count) so in practice you won't be repaying.
    • sarahjandrews1980
    • By sarahjandrews1980 10th May 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sarahjandrews1980
    • 10th May 17, 10:56 AM
    What if....
    • 10th May 17, 10:56 AM
    Hello,

What if you went to uni, completed a foundation year and year 1 of the actual degree course, but due to unforseen circumstances did not complete the degree and therefore didn't graduate, will these dates still stand?

Thanks
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 10th May 17, 1:33 PM
    • 1,785 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 10th May 17, 1:33 PM
    • 10th May 17, 1:33 PM
    Hello,

What if you went to uni, completed a foundation year and year 1 of the actual degree course, but due to unforseen circumstances did not complete the degree and therefore didn't graduate, will these dates still stand?

Thanks
    Originally posted by sarahjandrews1980
    Yes for graduation date read "date left course".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

887Posts Today

6,107Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin