RE: Collective switches - how to long does it take to transfer.

pearl123
pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
In previous Collective switches how long did it take for your transfer to go through?
I'm curious as it will help me make a decision the next time a Collective switch comes up.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    pearl123 wrote: »
    In previous Collective switches how long did it take for your transfer to go through?
    I'm curious as it will help me make a decision the next time a Collective switch comes up.

It depends on the supplier. Under their Licence Conditions, suppliers have 35 days to transfer a supply from the date that they receive an application to switch. That said, many suppliers are now signed up to the voluntary 17 day switching code which includes the 14 day 'cooling off' period.

As for the next collective switch coming along, you may have a long wait. There really hasn't been a best value for money collective switch since October last year. Suppliers are increasingly reluctant to pay third-party referral fees given that most of the new (smaller) suppliers have elected not to do so in favour of lower prices.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    It depends on the supplier. Under their Licence Conditions, suppliers have 35 days to transfer a supply from the date that they receive an application to switch. That said, many suppliers are now signed up to the voluntary 17 day switching code which includes the 14 day 'cooling off' period.

As for the next collective switch coming along, you may have a long wait. There really hasn't been a best value for money collective switch since October last year. Suppliers are increasingly reluctant to pay third-party referral fees given that most of the new (smaller) suppliers have elected not to do so in favour of lower prices.
    Thank you for replying. It sounds like there will be a collective switch next week.
  • FullForce
    FullForce Posts: 177 Forumite
    If it's a switch of supplier, it is as Hengus described i.e. a minimum of 17 days (actually 18 days as I think the CEC take a further day to forward the applications on ) or possibly 4-5 weeks depending on the supplier and whether they operate the faster switching service.

If it's a transfer of tariff (i.e. with the same supplier), again it probably depends on the supplier, but some will do it the day they get the application (again allowing for the time the CEC take to pass the application on) whilst others sometimes wait until your existing contract ends (assuming you are within the switching window i.e within 49 days of contract end)
  • K.S.
    K.S. Posts: 78 Forumite
    what if you were already in the process of switching when this collective switch began, could you go through this switch still?
  • manutd99
    manutd99 Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    K.S. wrote: »
    what if you were already in the process of switching when this collective switch began, could you go through this switch still?

You have a 14 day cooling period so if you haven't switched yet you should be able to cancel. Phone your new supplier and advise you want to cancel and ask when when you need to notify them by so you have an idea whether to wait for collective switch or not
  • manutd99
    Do anyone know what date the collective switch will be announced? My tariff ends end of April and I was just about to switch and just read collective switch soon so thinking of waiting but don't want to wait too long. Is there a confirmed date?
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    manutd99 wrote: »
    Do anyone know what date the collective switch will be announced? My tariff ends end of April and I was just about to switch and just read collective switch soon so thinking of waiting but don't want to wait too long. Is there a confirmed date?

I've not seen one, but I assume they'll want to get people signed up before the 5th June because of https://bigcommunityswitch.ichoosr.com/Product/index.rails?actionId=584

As long as you switch before your tariff ends then you should be fine, there are some reasonably cheap no exit fee tariffs on cheapenergyclub if your current supplier is going to be really expensive. The collective switches may not be cheaper than what is available now anyway.
  • manutd99
    phillw wrote: »
    I've not seen one, but I assume they'll want to get people signed up before the 5th June because of https://bigcommunityswitch.ichoosr.com/Product/index.rails?actionId=584

As long as you switch before your tariff ends then you should be fine, there are some reasonably cheap no exit fee tariffs on cheapenergyclub if your current supplier is going to be really expensive. The collective switches may not be cheaper than what is available now anyway.

On cheapenergyclub is says switch coming soon. They want people signed up by Sunday 23rd April. If they want people signed up by Sunday do you think it might be next week? as don't mind waiting a week but not any longer
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    manutd99 wrote: »
    On cheapenergyclub is says switch coming soon. They want people signed up by Sunday 23rd April. If they want people signed up by Sunday do you think it might be next week? as don't mind waiting a week but not any longer

MSE state:
    Urgent. MSE Big Energy Switch expected next week. We hope to have a super cheap deal, but rules mean we can only offer it to 'members'.

Next week is probably next week?

However, they were unable to offer a competitive switch on the last two or or three occasions, although they haven't indicated that will happen, this time. Maybe they already have reasonable offers in the pipeline if they are saying they hope to have a super cheap deal? I wouldn't expect it to be better than my current tariff, though. Nothing is certain?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/?_ga=1.122090504.2056208193.1490300692#energy

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/collectivesignup
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 April 2017 at 12:21PM
    Maybe they already have reasonable offers in the pipeline if they are saying they hope to have a super cheap deal?

Hope springs eternal.

The press release would probably not have the same effect if they said "we really have no idea what is going on, but it's our job to do this so please sign up". They may have offers based on the number of new and existing sign ups, they may have no offers at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure