Housing benefit, shared ownership

New to this... My partner and I are currently private renting. We receive housing benefit with the family premium as we have a child. We are waiting to move into a shared ownership property, where we will be paying rent for 65% of it. When we move will are housing benefit stop for any reason? Will we still receive the family premium?

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How are you going to pay for the other 45% of the shared ownership property?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Beth2805 wrote: »
    New to this... My partner and I are currently private renting. We receive housing benefit with the family premium as we have a child. We are waiting to move into a shared ownership property, where we will be paying rent for 65% of it. ...........
    With 45% of the price of your new shared-ownership home in the bank, how come you're getting any HB on your current private rental at all, please??
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/housing-benefit/help-with-your-rent-housing-benefit/
    If you or your partner have more than £16,000 in capital, you will not get any Housing Benefit, unless you are getting the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit. If you or your partner have capital of over £6,000, you will be assumed to have some income from that capital.
    Not possible (yup, I have "O"-level sums...) if you've got that 45%....
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    You may have o-level sums, but 100% minus 65% is not 45%...... :p
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Cakeguts

That would be down to me than as I don't have O level sums......and I can't add up. No good at darts scoring etc.
  • Cakeguts
    eggha wrote: »
    rather ridiculously it appears you do get HB on shared ownership ...
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/what_is_housing_benefit

How housing benefit is calculated

Find out how housing benefit is calculated if you rent from a council or housing association or pay rent as part of a shared ownership home.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/how_housing_benefit_is_calculated

Does that apply from when you first move in or do you have to already have any capital you might have invested in the part of the property that you own.

What I couldn't understand was how someone who had enough money to pay for 35% of the shared ownership was able to claim housing benefit because surely they had too much in the way of savings? I can understand that if this money was invested in the shared ownership property then they could get housing benefit to pay the rent because they wouldn't necessarily have any savings.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Ho, ho ho!!! Silly me...

I also have OAP status which just might account for my dumb, obvious, error: Oops!
  • We've got a mortgage for the 35% of the property, we put an £8000 deposit towards that. So basically we will be paying a mortgage for 35% the other 65% we will be renting
  • Cakeguts
    How did you get a mortgage while claiming housing benefit? Did you tell the mortgage company about the housing benefit?
  • eggha wrote: »
    don;t know, all i did was google : "can you get hb on shared ownership"

OP appears to have 8k of cash to fund the deposit requirement, but remains below the 16k capital threshold at which he would lose entitlement to HB. Therefore, on paper, the "ridiculous" situation of being a house owner whilst being funded by the taxpayer.

He's not going to be a house owner.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    eggha wrote: »
    what???? The OP is asking about shared ownership, the clue is in the name.

35% of one. With all the responsibility of 100%.

Not for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport