Lake Geneva - Wedding Anniversary

Options
Hello Everyone,

I am planning a 2 night get away to Lake Geneva for our 20th Wedding Anniversary :love::love:

The hotel I'm looking at is coming in quite pricey but I really LOVE it and wondering if I can get the same hotel but cheaper online? I'm looking at Le Mirador Resort & Spa and the Junior Suite with Terrace and Lake View. I'm wanting to push the boat out a bit seeing as it's our 20th wedding anniversary and haven't been away for years.

Any recommendations of where else to look or even other nice hotels? Booking.com is very pricey!

Thank you!

Comments

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 April 2017 at 8:08AM
    Options
    Twins wrote: »
    Booking.com is very pricey!

Thank you!

No-Geneva is very pricey!

When are you going?

What is the price of the hotel?

I usually use
    Trivago
    Kayak
    Ebookers
    Expedia

Possibly look at BA (or similar) holidays to see if flight + hotel comes out cheaper.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Contact the hotel direct and see what price you can get from them.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A little niggle: there is no such place as 'Lake Geneva'. The city of Geneva is on a lake called Leman.

Perhaps if you search using the correct place-name you might find more reasonable prices on offer.

Switzerland has many beautiful lake-side resorts and if you look across the whole country you might find exactly what you want at a price you are willing to pay. Geneva is unusually expensive, even by Swiss standards.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A little niggle: there is no such place as 'Lake Geneva'.
    Gosh! That would surprise a lot of people.

'Lake Geneva' is English.
    'Lac Leman' is French.

Both are correct. :)

Try a search for 'Lake Geneva'. Google lists about 6,900,000 results, including this from Wikipedia:
    Following the rise of Geneva it became Lac de Genève (translated into English as Lake Geneva). In the 18th century, Lac L!man was revived in French and is the customary name in that language. In contemporary English, the name Lake Geneva is predominant. A note on pronunciation:

English: Lake Geneva /ˌleɪk dʒᵻˈniːvə/
    French: le lac L!man [lə lak leˈmɑ̃], le L!man [lə leˈmɑ̃] or le lac de Genève [lə lak də ʒ(ə)nɛːv]
    German: Genfersee (German Switzerland) or Genfer See (Germany) [ˈɡɛnfər ˈzeː]
    Italian: Lago Lemano, Lago di Ginevra [ˈlaːɡo di dʒiˈnɛːvra].
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2017 at 2:58PM
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »

'Lac Leman' is French.

Indeed!

I stayed here on my honeymoon in 1991 http://www.fairmont.com/montreux/ , clearly described as 'situated on the shores of Lake Geneva' :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Blue264
    Blue264 Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »

'Lac Leman' is French.

Try a search for 'Lake Geneva'. Google lists about 6,900,000 results, including this from Wikipedia:
    I fail to see how English google results define the name of a body of water in Switzerland, which has four official languages, none of which are English. Hmmm...

Lake Geneva is the English name for the region, but by the same measure, if you ask a native of Oxford what the name of the river is, would you really be surprised if they called it the River Isis rather than the river Thames?

Natives of Lausanne and Montreux usually call the lake Le Lac, and I've never heard them call it Lake Geneva because the rivalry is too great for them to concede that. In my end of the country, it's called Genfersee. It's similar with Lake Constance (English) where the city is named Konstanz in German and the lake is Obersee & Untersee Bodensee. It's confusing and it takes a while to realise people are refering to the same body of water, but I have a patient neighbour who tells me "only foreigners call it that ..." for most of the places we visit. :D

Anyways...the point being made was that the OP might find more reasonable rates for their prefered hotel if they search for it using the correct name of the location, rather than as an outlying area of Geneva. In this case, 1) please contact the hotel directly by phone or email addressed to 'inhouse reservations department', 2) search for hotels in Chardonne. It might, just might make a difference, but it will definitely bring up other options with the view that is inspiring you. ;)
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    When someone says Lake Geneva to me I think of the body of water rather than Geneva city.

The Lake it's self has many beautiful towns and villages on its shores. Personally I prefer some of those to Geneva.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    When someone says Lake Geneva to me I think of the body of water rather than Geneva city.

The Lake it's self has many beautiful towns and villages on its shores. Personally I prefer some of those to Geneva.

Chillon is fabulously beautiful. Famous lakeside resorts (that sadly I have not visited) include Lausanne and Montreux. Of course, these places are at the far end of the lake from Geneva and so the journey from the airport would take a couple of hours...
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Chillon is fabulously beautiful. Famous lakeside resorts (that sadly I have not visited) include Lausanne and Montreux. Of course, these places are at the far end of the lake from Geneva and so the journey from the airport would take a couple of hours...
    IIRC we took a train from Geneva to Montreux, with the lake in view for long stretches of the journey. Very pleasant.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

I usually hire a car. Getting out of Geneva is pretty straightforward and once outside the city the roads are reasonably smooth flowing.

The signposting for the airport is very poor in my opinion. The good thing is the fuel station near the airport doesn't charge an arm and a leg.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure