How to recover files?

Si_Clist
Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
I have a dead Win10 PC from which I'd very much like to recover some document files. I have a HD docking station, so is it just a case of removing the HD, sticking it in the dock thingy and copying files to my Win 10 laptop? Or is there, as I suspect there will be, far more to it than that?
A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Si_Clist wrote: »
    "I have a HD docking station"
    What are you waiting for? Earth yourself on the computer case (mains socket OFF and hold power button down for 20secs); take off panel; take out disk drive (carefully); insert in dock (which I assume you've used before?).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    If for some weird or unknown reason the HDD was encrypted then using the dock would likely not work. Otherwise just get on and do it, and you'll have recovered your files in no time at all. :)

(And I'm sure you've now learned that regular data backups are a must). ;)
  • Si_Clist
    Gosh, that was easy!

Thanks folks. I asked because I was absolutely sure there'd be more to it than that ...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • grumpycrab
    Gosh, that was easy! [recover document files]
    I have a dead Win10 PC
    Now the interesting bit - tell us more.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Si_Clist
    grumpycrab wrote: »

Sorry, it's very uninteresting indeed. Push-button start switch packed up, maker said "can't be replaced on account of you can't get at it, best way forward is to buy a new case and swop all the bits over" and I thought "gubber that for a lark".

So I spent a happy hour with my Dremel cutting away part of the top panel in order to get at the switch, managed to extract the broken moulding that you pushed on, only to find that the actual switch was indeed stuffed. As the man said, replacement not feasible even if one was available on account of it was mounted straight onto a double-sided PCB, and no way of rigging up a substitute, so PC has gone to the dump (less HD), I'm happy just using the laptop nowadays, and I have more deskraum :)
  • Si_Clist

Sorry, it's very uninteresting indeed. Push-button start switch packed up, maker said "can't be replaced on account of you can't get at it, best way forward is to buy a new case and swop all the bits over" and I thought "gubber that for a lark".

So I spent a happy hour with my Dremel cutting away part of the top panel in order to get at the switch, managed to extract the broken moulding that you pushed on, only to find that the actual switch underneath that was indeed stuffed. As the man said, replacement not feasible even if one was available on account of it was mounted straight onto a double-sided PCB, and no way of rigging up a substitute, so PC has gone to the dump (less HD), I'm happy just using the laptop nowadays, and I have more deskraum :)
  • grumpycrab
    Sorry, it's very uninteresting indeed.
    Each to ones own.
    So I spent a happy hour with my Dremel...
    Find connector on motherboard (do you have the motherboard model?) replace with new connector, wire-pair and any old switch?
  • grumpycrab
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Make sure that you save to another disk not the one you are recovering from,
    Doesn't sound as if the disk needs recovering (assuming OP has checked disk state).
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I think David meant "backing up from" when he said "recovering" ... not that the HDD was itself goosed. :)
  • Si_Clist
    Find connector on motherboard (do you have the motherboard model?) replace with new connector, wire-pair and any old switch?

That's all well and good if you know your way round puters. But I don't. There was also the consideration that the PC didn't owe me anything, having been bought 6-7 years ago as a business expense. Plus if I got shut of the PC, a 24" Eizo monitor could follow it, along with the spare 24" Eizo. And the keyboard.

Basically I no longer need a PC. The laptop will do just fine for me now :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure