PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Spotted this & thought it might raise a grin
    Seems The First Duck may have to be guided on appropriate vehicles when visiting.
    However it is unlikely he'll have the grace to do a Beauty in "The Beast" as Obama quietly did.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I know just what I'd do if there was a 4 minute warning. Put the kettle on and cuddle the RV and the cat. Would need to be the big fast burner ring though or we'd never make it in time :D
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mardatha, you need to get one of those one cup water boiler thingies. We have one, and you can have a cuppa ready in less than a minute at a temperature you can drink it at.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Totally agree on the uselessness of fearfulness over impending armageddon ... though I do still get a bit addicted to watching the headlines, must stop that.

Prepping-wise, I'm very proud of my half-kilner jar of dehydrated lemon balm :rotfl: there, that'll show them :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • It's only sensible to keep yourself informed KARMA and unless it's 'celebrity rubbish' keeping an eye on the news headlines is very informative. I keep an eye also on those tiny little 1" page edgers that come in columns as that is where the really interesting stuff pops up, almost like it's 'hidden' news and is sometimes very relevant. I don't think for a second that the really relevant stuff ever gets into the public domaine though and that's probably much less scary than knowing everything that could potentially be world problems.

I'm going to make and process as much of the home grown produce as I can this year so tomorrow I'll be making a batch of rhubarb and ginger jam as the allotment is producing a small forest of the stuff and then when it's had a few weeks to rest I'll make a batch of chutney too. I rather think prices are only going to rise over the next few years so I'll make and store what I can and free up our money to buy in what we can afford and make that tasty with what I've made. I can't stop the world but I can make our little bit of it as comfy and good as I can!!!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jk0 wrote: »
    Sorry to keep banging on about 9/11 folks, but I thought this video might interest you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvAv-114bwM

This guy used to work at NIST who wrote the 9/11 report. He has finally realised it is a lot of cobblers.
    _pale__pale__pale_ Well, I've been purposely not thinking about that too much, but this particular video shocked me because of how reasonable the guy was. He was very scientific, very reasoned, in his analysis. No fireworks in what he said or his thought processes, and taking responsibility for coming to the party as late as he has.

He doesn't go into *who* ... but, who? The "next step" after saying it seems deliberate ... it's really hard to imagine the mindset of people who would deliberately do this, and consider themselves to be worthwhile members of our society (if it *wasn't* terrorists etc).
    It's only sensible to keep yourself informed KARMA and unless it's 'celebrity rubbish' keeping an eye on the news headlines is very informative. I keep an eye also on those tiny little 1" page edgers that come in columns as that is where the really interesting stuff pops up, almost like it's 'hidden' news and is sometimes very relevant. I don't think for a second that the really relevant stuff ever gets into the public domaine though and that's probably much less scary than knowing everything that could potentially be world problems.
    Thanks Mrs L - and sadly this ties in to what I just wrote, I think. We know, in our hearts, that TPTB don't really have the best interests of ordinary people as their most important objective, so yep, keeping an eye on things *is* important, you're right. When I said I looked at headlings, its often to see if something really bad has happened - like the Westminster bomb recently - or its a proper look round, which is when you see the little bits of 'hidden' news, as you say. ZH is really good for a headline scan....
    I'm going to make and process as much of the home grown produce as I can this year so tomorrow I'll be making a batch of rhubarb and ginger jam as the allotment is producing a small forest of the stuff and then when it's had a few weeks to rest I'll make a batch of chutney too. I rather think prices are only going to rise over the next few years so I'll make and store what I can and free up our money to buy in what we can afford and make that tasty with what I've made. I can't stop the world but I can make our little bit of it as comfy and good as I can!!!
    I definitely agree - our own responses, on our own individual levels, can cushion us from manipulations of goods, of currency exchange, of border controls, as well as ill health, accidents, all sorts of things.

I'm off out tomorrow to see the Flying Scotsman :j but Wednesday my dehydrator is in action again - nettles and blackberry leaves, I think. While thats going, I'll be making rhubarb "pie filling" for crumbles, putting it in the freezer.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Karmacat wrote: »

He doesn't go into *who* ... but, who? The "next step" after saying it seems deliberate ... it's really hard to imagine the mindset of people who would deliberately do this, and consider themselves to be worthwhile members of our society (if it *wasn't* terrorists etc).

I'm just watching Operation Terror: https://operationterror.vhx.tv/buy/operation-terror

This seems a very plausible explanation.
  • You lot always have your fingers on the pulse! With GQ's dire warnings that Bank Holidays are always a 'good time' for things to go wrong - is anybody having trouble getting onto Co-Op online banking this morning?
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    EEEK! I'm not with them, but that would worry me. Please let us know how you get on Lilli !
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :p I wouldn't touch online banking with a disinfected barge pole, I like to do all my banking in-branch, even cash withdrawal, indoor ATMs unlikely to have been tampered with, imo. I've read of online securtiy experts who won't bank online as they consider it far too risky.

Back at the homestead after five days on the razz at parental-ville (I jest). Heard the news about the general election on the bus's radio as I came across the county. Any thoughts?

My thoughts are; that's another b*ggering lot of w*rk for local authority peeps, bet our own elections team are going NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Spoke to a pal this aft, it's been called for his birthday, so he won't forget that in a hurry.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills