Funeral Attendance/Work

Comments

• Hbeard
    Hbeard Posts: 37 Forumite
    As an addition to this query, what are the laws concerning holiday/annual leave? I have now submitted 4 requests for annual leave and all of them have been rejected, no reason given. I am desperately trying to find a new job, how can I get one when I am being consistently denied the opportunity to take time off for interviews with potential employers and agencies?

If I resign, I lose the right to sign on for JSA (if that's what its called now), If I get fired that goes down on my permanent record, so I appear to be stuck? Am I missing something?

I figured I'd ask here rather then start another new thread.,once again, really apreciate any info or advice people can give.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hbeard wrote: »
    As an addition to this query, what are the laws concerning holiday/annual leave? I have now submitted 4 requests for annual leave and all of them have been rejected, no reason given. I am desperately trying to find a new job, how can I get one when I am being consistently denied the opportunity to take time off for interviews with potential employers and agencies?

If I resign, I lose the right to sign on for JSA (if that's what its called now), If I get fired that goes down on my permanent record, so I appear to be stuck? Am I missing something?

I figured I'd ask here rather then start another new thread.,once again, really apreciate any info or advice people can give.

The laws are very simple but sadly not what you want to hear!

You are entitled to 28 days (5.6 weeks) leave per year but your employer can totally dictate when you can and cannot take it. So it would be perfectly lawful for an employer to close for 5.6 weeks per year and allow no other leave whatsoever. OK, they might struggle to recruit and retain staff.....
  • Hbeard
    The laws are very simple but sadly not what you want to hear!

You are entitled to 28 days (5.6 weeks) leave per year but your employer can totally dictate when you can and cannot take it. So it would be perfectly lawful for an employer to close for 5.6 weeks per year and allow no other leave whatsoever. OK, they might struggle to recruit and retain staff.....

Does this mean that they can essentially never allow me to take my leave? If I have an interview, do I have no right to attend that?
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As stated you are entitled to 28 days holiday but the management can choose when you can take it. You have every right to go to an interview BUT if it is not in the days/dates directed by your management then it could be either unpaid leave or unlawful absences that could go on your record.
  • Undervalued
    Does this mean that they can essentially never allow me to take my leave? If I have an interview, do I have no right to attend that?

No and no.

They must let you take your leave at some point during the year. However, worst case that could be a 28 day block that they choose and no other time off at all!

You have no specific right to time off to attend an interview (unless you are being made redundant). So booking a day off for that purpose is no different from booking a day off for a funeral or anything else. The employer is quite entitled to say no and insist you only take leave when it suits them.
  • Undervalued
    London50 wrote: »
    As stated you are entitled to 28 days holiday but the management can choose when you can take it. You have every right to go to an interview BUT if it is not in the days/dates directed by your management then it could be either unpaid leave or unlawful absences that could go on your record.

Just to add there is no right to unpaid leave other than "short" periods for "emergency" situations involving dependents. The law doesn't define short or emergency but the general interpretation is enough time to arrange care but not time to do the caring yourself.

Virtually all employers are actually more flexible about this and holiday booking than the minimum legal requirement. However how much flexibility varies enormously.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just to add there is no right to unpaid leave other than "short" periods for "emergency" situations involving dependents. The law doesn't define short or emergency but the general interpretation is enough time to arrange care but not time to do the caring yourself.

Virtually all employers are actually more flexible about this and holiday booking than the minimum legal requirement. However how much flexibility varies enormously.

I totally agree with what you are saying but the OP either wants someone on here to state that the company they work for are wrong with the company rules or cannot understand the basics of the set 28 holiday days law.
    All companies I have worked for gave the holiday rules and you either excepted them or moved on,If the OP is not happy with the company policy then perhaps it is time to try and find one that suits:)
  • Looking over the OP's posting history is an interesting read work wise.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Hello MSE Forum,

I come once again to ask advice from you all.

My manager recently passed away, only 54 - far too young!

The next manager in line who I now report to (lets call him Super Cuddly Uniformed Man) did not tell me of my managers passing, I had to find out from a colleague.

His funeral is on Monday at 11am. S.C.U.M, asked if myself or my colleague would like to attend the funeral. We both indicated that we would. This happened a few weeks ago.

Today, my manager contacted my colleague to ask if he still wants to attend, my colleague declined. I was not contacted and asked the same. When I directly emailed and asked, I was told it wouldn't be possible as we are both required to be at work on Monday. If this is the case, why was my colleague contacted today and asked if he still wanted to go?

What I want to know good people of MSE, is do I have any options here regarding complaints via my companies HR Department. Its no secret that SCUM does not like me and has tried to have me fired on numerous occasions, my old manager prevented this from happening. Currently, I am doing my old managers job (the 4th time I have been in this position with this company) and we are not being told if there any plans to replace him. I am the next logical choice, but will not be offered the job because of SCUM's issues with me. I have other small examples of favouritism, disrespect etc from SCUM, but nothing particularly concrete.

I am wondering if I have an option to be either reassigned to a different department, or have the manager changed due to his obvious personal issues with me.

Any info is appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read my post!

a little late to this, but I see the post/incident was the Friday before the Funeral on the Monday.

The error was emailing the manager that they don't get on with.

Should have just kept quiet and planned to go as agreed, if local it would only be a couple of hours anyway.

seems a bit of anger/frustration stopped the OP thinking.
  • Hbeard
    edited 20 April 2017 at 12:41PM
    London50 wrote: »
    I totally agree with what you are saying but the OP either wants someone on here to state that the company they work for are wrong with the company rules or cannot understand the basics of the set 28 holiday days law.
    All companies I have worked for gave the holiday rules and you either excepted them or moved on,If the OP is not happy with the company policy then perhaps it is time to try and find one that suits:)

I am not looking for that at all, I wanted to make sure that I understood the basics before I act. The holiday rules were given when I started, and previously the company have operated as any other regarding holiday, it is only recently that my my leave started to be rejected for spurious reasons.
    Looking over the OP's posting history is an interesting read work wise.

Its been an interesting company to try and work for.
    a little late to this, but I see the post/incident was the Friday before the Funeral on the Monday.

The error was emailing the manager that they don't get on with.

Should have just kept quiet and planned to go as agreed, if local it would only be a couple of hours anyway.

seems a bit of anger/frustration stopped the OP thinking.

The manager in question asked my colleague if he would like to attend on the Friday, when he declined, the same offer was not made to me. My colleague informed me we had to attend work on Monday and I emailed to confirm this. Had I gone to funeral I would have been disciplined for not attending work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure