2»

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 April 2017 at 10:29AM
    Options
    Agreed.

Sorry op but it's like one of those quizzes you can't fail to win.
    Should you
    a) leave your laptop near your sink where it could fall in.
    b) site it away from the sink .
    c) store it in the sink, wash it with your dishes and leave to drain.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If this was a proper Insurance product then the would not regard your actions as negligent and deny the claim as most claims under accidental damage on a Home Contents Policy include some degree of negligence.

Unfortunately the last time I look the Currys Whateverhappens is not an Insurance product but has side stepped the regulations to avoid their responsibilities
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    williham wrote: »
    I don't think using a laptop in the kitchen is negligent, if they think it is then it should say 'you can't use it in the kitchen', it's probably 1/8 of your house so big enough to mention you can't use it there . Keep complaining and email the CEO if they don't approve the claim.

What a lovely consumer friendly response but it's missing something. The op just didn't use it in the Kitchen the op used it in a part of the kitchen where it was able to fall into the sink.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic but do you see the minor complication now?
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It depends on the terms of your insurance, surely?

You can buy gadget insurance which covers careless acts. This type of insurance covers you if you do something like drop your laptop on the floor or spill water on it. If you have insurance like this then I'd think you are also covered if you drop it in the sink. You obviously pay a premium for this type of insurance.

On the other hand some types of insurance won't cover you for careless acts.

I think it depends what your policy says.
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options
    It is not insurance, they call it a "service plan" to make sure no one gets confused into thinking it is insurance. Saves Dixons redtape and i'd imagine money too.

Don't think the OP is going to get far with this one but as I said they could try appealing but I doubt they will win. I think Knowhow are likely to stand by their decision and I can't blame them either.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 April 2017 at 1:15PM
    Options
    It depends on the terms of your insurance, surely?

You can buy gadget insurance which covers careless acts. This type of insurance covers you if you do something like drop your laptop on the floor or spill water on it. If you have insurance like this then I'd think you are also covered if you drop it in the sink. You obviously pay a premium for this type of insurance.

On the other hand some types of insurance won't cover you for careless acts.

I think it depends what your policy says.

I think the main problem is the plan is sold on the basis that it covers mishaps - "It does exactly what it says, and protects your product from mishap or breakdown" - but if you read the small print in the terms and conditions the customer must "take reasonable care of the product".

Had this been a regulated insurance product the op would have had a relatively easy way of getting their complaint heard, and judged, by an independent party. And the op would have had a valid complaint if they had not been treated fairly even if the company had complied with the letter of the contract.

However this does not appear to be a regulated policy which means it is not so easy to progress a complaint.
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest with some customer complaints you couldn't make it up how incompetent and hypocritical the customer is.

I've just noticed the op describe the staff as inept.

Noname.jpg

But it was the op who somehow managed to drop their own laptop into a kitchen sink so it now longer works.

Complaints like this are quite simply laughable. I don't know how on earth the op actually has the nerve to call the staff who have dealt with this inept!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure