HSBC small business tariff problem.

Hi All

I've been with HSBC since 1994 and 2003 as a business customer. During my time as a business customer I have had a "relationship manager".

I have noticed that in the past two months my charges have gone from about £65 to £5.50. I queried it with the bank and they said they've moved me to a different tariff. It seems that for some years we've been on a tariff unsuited to our business.

I asked why our relationship manager had never mentioned any of this and was told, "it's the customer's responsibility to choose the correct tariff".

Hands up, I know what the banks are like and I should have assumed that they were over charging. However, I would also have hoped that our relationship manager would have drawn my attention to the problem.

Off the top of my head, between our two small businesses, the "over charge" will probably be in the order of £10,000.00.

So, was this just a chuffing expensive lesson, or is anyone aware of a route down which I can pursue them?

Many thanks guys.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 March 2017 at 5:42PM
    I doubt they'll even consider refunding you. You chose the tariff. You continued to pay it. The Bank have actually done you a favour by moving you onto a cheaper tariff, probably based on your banking history.
    Vizard wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, between our two small businesses, the "over charge" will probably be in the order of £10,000.00.
    That assumes that you have always been on the "wrong" tariff. This is unlikely.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have noticed that in the past two months my charges have gone from about £65 to £5.50. I queried it with the bank and they said they've moved me to a different tariff. It seems that for some years we've been on a tariff unsuited to our business.

A lot of the banks have introduced a low use or electronic use tariff that has seen small businesses get a nice reduction.
    Hands up, I know what the banks are like and I should have assumed that they were over charging.

They were not over charging. They were charging the correct amount for the tariff you agreed.
    So, was this just a chuffing expensive lesson, or is anyone aware of a route down which I can pursue them?

It is your job to do these things. Its like insurance, utilities, mobile phone, investments and pensions etc etc. New contracts become available and you can get left behind on old contracts if you dont check periodically. Sometimes old contracts can be gems worth keeping but often the new ones are better and cheaper.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Vizard
    Vizard Posts: 68 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I accept my responsibility to keep tabs on them. No defence, I was remiss.

But, given that ours was an actively managed account, should we not have received some sort of heads up? Apparently, we should have had account reviews but never did.
  • dunstonh
    But, given that ours was an actively managed account, should we not have received some sort of heads up? Apparently, we should have had account reviews but never did.
    We all have business managers on paper. Most are as useless as a chocolate teapot.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Vizard
    An update on this.

Without my asking they have refunded £750 of the charges. They have however also written to me saying that they haven't made an error, it's goodwill.

Now, I would argue that as we had a relationship manager and as I did explicitly ask him about tariffs he had a duty to inform me whether I was on the correct tariff.

The immediate payment by the bank (I am talking 24 hours) suggests to me that they feel they might actually be in the wrong.

Any further thoughts chaps? I intend to push this further.
  • dunstonh
    The immediate payment by the bank (I am talking 24 hours) suggests to me that they feel they might actually be in the wrong.

It is more likely that such a quick payment quoting goodwill is an automatic payment to close the case down to avoid the FOS fee and avoid further costs.
    I intend to push this further.

Dont push too hard. They can withdraw the goodwill offer. Especially if its purpose is to avoid the FOS fee.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Vizard wrote: »
    An update on this.

Without my asking they have refunded £750 of the charges. They have however also written to me saying that they haven't made an error, it's goodwill.

Now, I would argue that as we had a relationship manager and as I did explicitly ask him about tariffs he had a duty to inform me whether I was on the correct tariff.

Any further thoughts chaps? I intend to push this further.

Also this is a B2B transaction, they have a MUCH lower duty of care than B2C.
  • Vizard
    dunstonh wrote: »
    It is more likely that such a quick payment quoting goodwill is an automatic payment to close the case down to avoid the FOS fee and avoid further costs.

Dont push too hard. They can withdraw the goodwill offer. Especially if its purpose is to avoid the FOS fee.

Their letter says that they have now reviewed their policy and customers will now be put on the most suitable tariff automatically.

Nowhere does it say their payment is conditional.

I would also observe that they are driving this down the FOS route, because they are trying to close down further communication. The format is: denial - glossing over facts - goodwill offer - refer to FOS.

I think I have a good case here.
  • dunstonh
    Nowhere does it say their payment is conditional.

You said it was a goodwill gesture.
    I would also observe that they are driving this down the FOS route, because they are trying to close down further communication. The format is: denial - glossing over facts - goodwill offer - refer to FOS.

That is how the complaints process works. From what you have said, there was no time given to check with the account manager or source documentation. They turned it around in no time probably using their profitability check on your account.
    I think I have a good case here.

Excellent. Go ahead and take it to the FOS then. If the FOS disagree with you, the bank may tell the FOS that their offer was a goodwill gesture aimed at closing the complaint quickly and efficiently but as they have now suffered a referral to the FOS and the FOS fee, they no longer wish to offer that amount. It tends not to happen on small goodwill payments but it has been used on larger ones.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would cut your losses, they've done you a good-will favour. I don't think the FOS would be interested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure