Using income funds as part of growth strategy for pension portfolio

Comments

• MonroeM
    MonroeM Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MPN wrote: »
    OK point taken about 'most' IFA's, however, I do know quite a few friends that work with an IFA on their investments and non of those that have a 7 risk profile (70% equity) hold more than 15-20% in UK equities. I would of thought IMHO :) that this amount in UK equities at the current time is sufficient. At the top end at 20% is surely adequate?

VLS funds are 25% UK equities which many people on this forum have said is top heavy. In my opinion, in the current climate of uncertainty that 20% is more than adequate although in the portfolio I am constructing it is nearer 15%!
  • It's just a measure of how much a fund swings up and down on a daily basis relative to the FTSE 100 index. A lower risk score would indicate a smoother ride, but it wouldn't necessarily mean the loss potential is lower. Direct property is a good example of an asset class that is medium-high risk, but tends to have very low risk scores due to the fact it is illiquid, so there are no daily price movements to be captured in the fund price.

Thanks, that makes much more sense now. Given the funds are held in a pension pot, I'm not worried about short term volatility, but more about reducing slightly the impact of a large drop when the next crash comes.

I think I'll leave my equity holding in the funds I currently hold for now. I agree that 41% UK equity seems very high, and more than I feel comfortable holding at present. It's interesting that other IFAs are recommending more like 15-20% UK equities, but maybe they have reduced volatility another way.

For now I will look into the bond funds recommended. I thought about including bond funds a year ago, but decided they were very high with too much potential to fall in value. A year later they are even higher! Is a strategic income bond fund likely to be a reasonable choice in the current low interest/low inflation climate? The one recommended is the Scottish Widows Strategic Income Bond Fund. I can't find any information on this, other than that it is invested in 72% UK investment grade corporate bonds and 28% UK high yield.
  • MPN
    MPN Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Anya78 wrote: »
    I agree that 41% UK equity seems very high, and more than I feel comfortable holding at present. It's interesting that other IFAs are recommending more like 15-20% UK equities, but maybe they have reduced volatility another way.

As I mentioned, most people I know have a risk profile of 70% Equities and out of this a maximum of between 15-20% in UK Equities. They will reduce risk and volatility with the remaining 30% of their investments possibly through bonds and property.

As MonroeM said even VLS funds only have 25% UK Equity and she prefers only 15% UK Equities so IMO 41% is extremely high!
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As I mentioned, most people I know have a risk profile of 70% Equities and out of this a maximum of between 15-20% in UK Equities. They will reduce risk and volatility with the remaining 30% of their investments possibly through bonds and property.

As MonroeM said even VLS funds only have 25% UK Equity and she prefers only 15% UK Equities so IMO 41% is extremely high!

You really know the risk profile of the people you know? How did you get that information?
  • MPN
    coyrls wrote: »
    You really know the risk profile of the people you know? How did you get that information?

Its no big secret with my friends we always chat about our investments, strategies etc and exchange views just like on this forum. Many of the posters on here openly tell us their risk profile or whether they are 100% equities or VLS40 etc. I can't really see any particular reason to be secretive about these things.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 19 March 2017 at 2:04AM
    As MonroeM said even VLS funds only have 25% UK Equity...
    The phrase "even VLS funds have only 25% UK Equity" as if for you to imply that VLS funds are generically a low risk way of investing, is not something that makes sense to do, IMHO. As I mentioned in the earlier post, a couple of rival multi-asset funds with similar charges (L&G MI and Blackrock Consensus) have higher proportions of UK equity.

L&G MI is risk targeted while VLS is performance targeted in fixed ratios of holdings. You can see on the recent charts, VLS 60 and especially VLS 80 have had a very high relative recent performance in their mini league table of "mixed assets, 40-85% equities". Reasons for that include having a high overseas component within their equities, particularly US component, at a time where foreign markets performed quite well and sterling weakened significantly making the overseas holdings more valuable in pounds.

They have 75% of their equities overseas and the UK equities they hold are concentrated in companies with non-UK revenues. So, no wonder they are flying high in the charts when UK has a relative poor year. But something like a VLS80 with that exposure is relatively high risk. VLS80 has done almost 30% in a year and 40% in three. Funds performing like that do not necessarily fit with an 'average' risk profile.

Sure, many of us do hold that sort of ratio if it chimes with our risk appetite but if someone is not looking for that level of volatility (especially if they have hinted to us and perhaps their advisor that they are looking to hold lower levels of equities because they already have a separate pension crammed with smaller companies, emerging markets etc) it is easy to understand why the OP's advisor suggested higher exposure to domestic assets.
    ...and she prefers only 15% UK Equities so IMO 41% is extremely high!
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, yes half your equities domestic is pretty high, and many might put a greater proportion of them overseas.

However, the fact that one particular poster (MonroeM) - who only started looking into investments four months ago - is deliberately looking for a low exposure to the UK because of what she perceives as a "current climate of uncertainty" and as a result is targeting 15% home country equity is certainly not something that you can extrapolate and say that most IFA portfolios would only be 15-20% UK.

Generally if someone says they are concerned about a climate of uncertainty, they do not go and put a massive proportion of their money in a foreign country. So, she is perhaps tilting her portfolio out of naivety rather than you being able to infer that she is doing it out of insight borne of years of investing experience (we know she does not have much in the way of investing experience over the last few economic cycles - she has nil, having acquired her portfolio on divorce and only looked into it at the back end of last year). She has just read some things, agrees with them and is doing a low-UK equity plan, which might be the right thing to do or it might not.

This is not me being critical of MonroeM who has probably has learned a lot since being here about what she wants and how she might develop her knowledge and target her investments to create a solution that works for her.

It is just to add a counterpoint to your using her, or VLS, as an example of how an average person should create their portfolios, when you say that 15-20% UK equity is the sweet spot because 'even VLS is only 25% UK' and MonroeM prefers a low percentage so anything more is extremely high.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Consider someone whose biggest equity investment (his house) is in the UK, whose biggest bond investment (his future State Pension and DB pension, say) is in the UK, and whose Personal Capital (present value of future earnings) is in the UK.

You could argue that it might be wise to hold most of the rest of his wealth as foreign investments.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • MPN
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    The phrase "even VLS funds have only 25% UK Equity" as if for you to imply that VLS funds are generically a low risk way of investing, is not something that makes sense to do, IMHO. As I mentioned in the earlier post, a couple of rival multi-asset funds with similar charges (L&G MI and Blackrock Consensus) have higher proportions of UK equity.

L&G MI is risk targeted while VLS is performance targeted in fixed ratios of holdings. You can see on the recent charts, VLS 60 and especially VLS 80 have had a very high relative recent performance in their mini league table of "mixed assets, 40-85% equities". Reasons for that include having a high overseas component within their equities, particularly US component, at a time where foreign markets performed quite well and sterling weakened significantly making the overseas holdings more valuable in pounds.

They have 75% of their equities overseas and the UK equities they hold are concentrated in companies with non-UK revenues. So, no wonder they are flying high in the charts when UK has a relative poor year. But something like a VLS80 with that exposure is relatively high risk. VLS80 has done almost 30% in a year and 40% in three. Funds performing like that do not necessarily fit with an 'average' risk profile.

Sure, many of us do hold that sort of ratio if it chimes with our risk appetite but if someone is not looking for that level of volatility (especially if they have hinted to us and perhaps their advisor that they are looking to hold lower levels of equities because they already have a separate pension crammed with smaller companies, emerging markets etc) it is easy to understand why the OP's advisor suggested higher exposure to domestic assets.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, yes half your equities domestic is pretty high, and many might put a greater proportion of them overseas.

However, the fact that one particular poster (MonroeM) - who only started looking into investments four months ago - is deliberately looking for a low exposure to the UK because of what she perceives as a "current climate of uncertainty" and as a result is targeting 15% home country equity is certainly not something that you can extrapolate and say that most IFA portfolios would only be 15-20% UK.

Generally if someone says they are concerned about a climate of uncertainty, they do not go and put a massive proportion of their money in a foreign country. So, she is perhaps tilting her portfolio out of naivety rather than you being able to infer that she is doing it out of insight borne of years of investing experience (we know she does not have much in the way of investing experience over the last few economic cycles - she has nil, having acquired her portfolio on divorce and only looked into it at the back end of last year). She has just read some things, agrees with them and is doing a low-UK equity plan, which might be the right thing to do or it might not.

This is not me being critical of MonroeM who has probably has learned a lot since being here about what she wants and how she might develop her knowledge and target her investments to create a solution that works for her.

It is just to add a counterpoint to your using her, or VLS, as an example of how an average person should create their portfolios, when you say that 15-20% UK equity is the sweet spot because 'even VLS is only 25% UK' and MonroeM prefers a low percentage so anything more is extremely high.

No matter how experienced an investor you are and your need to be so defensive for 'the country you live in' in my opinion you cannot justify a portfolio of 41% UK equities even with a lower risk profile!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,271 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No matter how experienced an investor you are and your need to be so defensive for 'the country you live in' in my opinion you cannot justify a portfolio of 41% UK equities even with a lower risk profile!
    One needs to consider that the stockmarket in which a company is listed is a flawed measure of geographical exposure and that there are investment strategies that are agnostic of geography. There are therefore perfectly justifiable investment strategies that may arrive at a portfolio in which 41%, or even a higher proportion, if underlying companies are listed on the UK stockmarket.

In this case, we have inferred from the choices made that the IFA is probably not choosing that 41% allocation for good reasons, but that doesn't mean that it is never justified to do so.
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I'm looking at buying some bond exposure to add income and diversity to a portfolio of income-producing investment trusts. But bond prices don't seem to be that uncorrelated to equity prices at the moment, so I'm wary of actually adding risk. I can handle bond price volatility but wouldn't be overly keen to watch them plunge in the same direction as equities when stocks eventually pull back.

I'm looking at CQS New City High Yield (NCYF) and City Merchants High Yield (CMHY) in the UK Equity & Bond Income sector and Henderson Diversified Income (HDIV) and Invesco Perpetual Enhanced Income (IPE) in Global High Income sector.

Just looking at the above trusts, bond prices have generally risen since 2009, so the concern is that I'd potentially be buying as interest rates start to rise, which should have a downward effect on bond prices. I appreciate this has all the hallmarks of me trying to time the market or predict the end of the business cycle, but my equity exposure is high at 85% and I'd be making some chunky purchases.

Any views on bond#equities correlation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport