negativity from others

Options
Does anyone else find that many other people are really quite negative towards our hobby? So many people that think we are wrong to enter so many or that its not right that we should win what we do? Even suggesting i should donate my wins to local hospitals.
It kind of upsets me as actually in reality I try and make someone else smile with my wins to. My biggest ever win I gave to my dad as it was something i knew he would be thrilled with, while the other week when i won playdoh i was told i should give it away, I let my children have some as after a few rough years it was nice to let them have something so nice and they where thrilled, the rest has gone into the christmas pot while some has been put to one side for when my daughters dance school is fundraising.
I very rarely keep anything myself as im always thinking of other people, I have ideas of what i keep for me (like the familypass to gulivers i just won) but i also like to see other people smile. Most people dont know the half of what i do et seem to feel so free to judge.

Anyway rant over, i just wondered if other people find this to x
back to comping in 2017, fingers crossed :beer:

Comments

• Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    Options
    jpwhittle wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that many other people are really quite negative towards our hobby? So many people that think we are wrong to enter so many or that its not right that we should win what we do? Even suggesting i should donate my wins to local hospitals.
    It kind of upsets me as actually in reality I try and make someone else smile with my wins to. My biggest ever win I gave to my dad as it was something i knew he would be thrilled with, while the other week when i won playdoh i was told i should give it away, I let my children have some as after a few rough years it was nice to let them have something so nice and they where thrilled, the rest has gone into the christmas pot while some has been put to one side for when my daughters dance school is fundraising.
    I very rarely keep anything myself as im always thinking of other people, I have ideas of what i keep for me (like the familypass to gulivers i just won) but i also like to see other people smile. Most people dont know the half of what i do et seem to feel so free to judge.

Anyway rant over, i just wondered if other people find this to x
    This! :( I often enter with other people in mind too-Yet other people saying I should donate to XXX "Because". Also the ones saying they should win because they would donate the prize to a certain cause. The Christmas before last I had shopping vouchers (A prize) that I was saving for the January sales. But a few days before Christmas we visited a family friend who admitted it was beans on toast for Xmas dinner because they couldn't afford to shop. That win was well spend in my eyes, they had a dinner. I gave an expensive bag to my mum because I knew she'd love it and I also shared shoe vouchers with her last year. I enter for toys for my Goddaughter and young children who we know don't get much because of family situations- yet I don't use sob stories, simply follow the instructions given by the prize provider . It's nice too see people smile, It's great to be the cause of that smile-that's the best prize. What is done with the prize should be up to the winner, no one should feel entitled to win or tell others what to do with their prize.
    2018 wins-12wins
  • mansey
    mansey Posts: 4,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 March 2017 at 4:55PM
    Options
    What's it got to do with anyone else what we do?

As long as nothing is being harmed, do what you want to do ;)

I enter comps for items myself or my family would like/could use and I honestly don't give a chit what folks think of me :beer:
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.” - Billy Joel
    C2W........718/1000......FB...........526/1000
    IG...........667/1000......MD..........652/1000
    2020 January Challenge
    Simply Media 423/1000
    Winning Moments 85/1000
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why tell "many other people" in the first place?

Presumably you win more than these "many other people" so it's a bit like you earning decent money and telling people who don't all about how much you earn - there is no upside to it for the "many other people" and unless they are proper friends then jealousy/envy is going to be a reaction, the same when a comper sells their story to the press.
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't even tell my hubby what I win!!! I stick it all in a box for Xmas and Birthdays!!!

I find a home for everything x

The only person I tell is my mother in law as she likes to tell her coffee group and watch them ohh and ahhh, they got a years worth of tea bags so they love me!!
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • chickaroonee
    chickaroonee Posts: 14,678 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with mjm - don't tell people if they're not supportive, it's none of their business.

In a slightly different way this was why I stopped posting my wins in my sig as I used to get a lot of PMs that made me uncomfortable, not nasty as such but I think kind of envious (and I don't think I used to win loads for the amount of time I put in!).

too many comps..not enough time!
  • Juzza12
    Juzza12 Posts: 809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with mjm - don't tell people if they're not supportive, it's none of their business.

In a slightly different way this was why I stopped posting my wins in my sig as I used to get a lot of PMs that made me uncomfortable, not nasty as such but I think kind of envious (and I don't think I used to win loads for the amount of time I put in!).

Wow, what kind of things did people say to you?
  • chickaroonee
    chickaroonee Posts: 14,678 Forumite
    Options
    It was a few years ago so can't remember them all, just lots of envious messages from newbies asking me why I won so much..maybe others wouldn't be bothered by it but it made me a little uncomfortable. No one was abusive or anything like that, but it happened enough that it made me paranoid!

too many comps..not enough time!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've had a few little digs made so I no longer make my wins public (eg Facebook!).

I win more tickets than anything and people are always happy to go with me to something for nothing. A lot of other wins are given as presents which is also why I don't shout about it lol.

Jealousy!

They also make comments about always winning stuff. I'm lucky if I win one thing a month - and it's not usually something big. To win that, I enter hundreds, if not thousands each week/month.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    Options

But sometimes wins on social media prompt negative reactions from people who thought they should have won :/ I once got some not nice messages on FB because I won a cake card- Two pieces of cake worth about £5 and some people weren't happy that they didn't win. Can't really avoid it if you're tagged in the post. I've never had any negative responses from this forum.
    2018 wins-12wins
  • magical
    magical Posts: 894 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i don't tell many people about my wins as i give alot away as presents. I did tell a friend once and she said can i win her lots of things.After that i say nothing x
    Comping for christmas x
    Thankyou to all posters:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family